• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Small car recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small car recommendations

I am looking for a small car my daughter can learn to drive in and I can use an around town vehicle.

Budget £15k so looking at newish used models that won't cost a small fortune to insure and can be driven by a 6'3" man.

The Aygo X looks OK but the engine is a little old school.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

when I looked the VW polo was very popular with kids as a good car but more expensive
    the insurance once passed the test is the killer
    learner insurance is pretty cheap
    Most people were recommending a low bhp car and when you get insurance get a "black box" fitted
    However if you are gonna drive it this will probably blow the driving stats!
    we went for a cheaper corsa but if you are spending 15 should get a decent reliable car

Comment

I am a big fan of the Fiat 500. There are loads about, and you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply. I'd have one in a heat beat if I didn't have baggage.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02307239986174

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          I am a big fan of the Fiat 500. There are loads about, and you should be able to pick one up fairly cheaply. I'd have one in a heat beat if I didn't have baggage.
          Wouldn't want to be driving one if you are 6ft 3 (and Eek twin A has one).

Given that requirement you really do need to test them first - few small cars allow someone that size to drive them easily.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
            the insurance once passed the test is the killer
            ^This^

I don't know which car would be cheapest for an 18-year old to insure. Maybe an older (low value) one might reduce it a bit, or 3rd party insurance?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Wouldn't want to be driving one if you are 6ft 3 (and Eek twin A has one).
              Given that requirement you really do need to test them first - few small cars allow someone that size to drive them easily.
              Fair. But they are roomier than many small cars.

Alternative suggestion: Suzuki Ignis. Small, tiny in fact, and plenty of head room... but definitely pricier.

Swings, half a dozen of the other. It'll really come down to how often one needs to pack in a rangy adult.

---

Former member of IPSE.

---
              Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Hate the Fiat 500, the RHD conversation is awful. Most of the small Japanese ones are OK but a bit on the small side internally (other than the Honda Jazz, which defies the laws of physics!)

How about a Mazda 2 or a Fiesta. Fairly cheap, pretty reliable, not too stupid on insurance, very easy to drive.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	JS85806405.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	4270074
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Buy her an old Landrover, then insure it through NFU.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X