• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Small car recommendations"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by sreed View Post

That sounds like a brilliant idea! Do all/most finance cos. allow you to pay off the capital in full without penalty?
    You would need to read the contract T&Cs

Leave a comment:

• sreed
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

There's a work-around. Sign up to the credit deal then pay off the finance company within the cancellation period.

Dealer gets their commission and you might get some value add to the purchase.
    I got a discount, servicing and road fund for 12 months and car mats!

Just check the small print in the finance contract carefully!

This is quite a well known approach and I'm sure that the dealer knew that was my plan.
    That sounds like a brilliant idea! Do all/most finance cos. allow you to pay off the capital in full without penalty?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Mrs B is very happy with the Macan, me too infact, compared to the X5 with 530hp I find the Macan calming

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

I had visions of you building something like that in your retirement.
    I had a 2 litre version 40 years ago. Lethal.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Nah.... Best traffic car was an old mate's ex-rally Hillman Imp with roo bars and full race Coventry Climax motor....
    Hyde Park Corner held no fears

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntIsw9cWxqs

Ideal for driving in traffic.
    I had visions of you building something like that in your retirement.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntIsw9cWxqs

Ideal for driving in traffic.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Can't disagree with any of that to be fair.
    EDIT : Actually I forgot flames. Need to have flames.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Incidentally. unless you are totally suicidal, 450 of your 710bhp (C63 Merc?, Audi RS? Bentley wotsist?) will disappear as soon as the traction control steps in, when you have the same grunt as a normal Mercedes 300... I've driven grunty cars a lot, including a Porsches, a supercharged Mustang and a real AC Cobra. The excitement palls very quickly. I much prefer handling at 50 for fun than wondering when I'm going to hit the next tree.
    Can't disagree with any of that to be fair.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

This is true. We have an Aygo which we did a family trip to Wales in with three plus luggage and did the job but a tad painful as a petrol head. Didn't realise the badged fiestas were so low though. I'm sure it's geared to be nippy but I'll stick with my 710bh even though I can't use most of it

Appears I was, my apologies. Just thought the ST's were the beefier ones. But just to note there are some of us that still love a nice car for us, not for anyone else
    ST is a trim option as well as being a specific version - the one that has been described as the best small hatch out there.

Incidentally. unless you are totally suicidal, 450 of your 710bhp (C63 Merc?, Audi RS? Bentley wotsist?) will disappear as soon as the traction control steps in, when you have the same grunt as a normal Mercedes 300... I've driven grunty cars a lot, including a Porsches, a supercharged Mustang and a real AC Cobra. The excitement palls very quickly. I much prefer handling at 50 for fun than wondering when I'm going to hit the next tree.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post

I've driven the 1.0l three pot that kept up with the traffic no problem, and also driven the bigger engined ones. It helps that you don't have to slow down much for corners...

0-60 times are irrelevant in the real world when most of your driving in town is 25-40 and out of town 50-70. The most fun I get on the road is in an 18 year old MX-5 - that doesn't have a lot of acceleration either.
    This is true. We have an Aygo which we did a family trip to Wales in with three plus luggage and did the job but a tad painful as a petrol head. Didn't realise the badged fiestas were so low though. I'm sure it's geared to be nippy but I'll stick with my 710bh even though I can't use most of it

You are mistaking me for the type of sad middle aged tosser who believes people are impressed by the car they drive.
    Appears I was, my apologies. Just thought the ST's were the beefier ones. But just to note there are some of us that still love a nice car for us, not for anyone else
    Last edited by northernladuk; 1 September 2023, 11:51.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied

125hp?? 0 to 60 timings are in minutes? Hope you don't mind being passed by every electric mobilty vehicle in the area.
    You are mistaking me for the type of sad middle aged tosser who believes people are impressed by the car they drive.

The car is also for my 17 year old daughter to drive so I don't want anything to expensive to insure.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied

125hp?? 0 to 60 timings are in minutes? Hope you don't mind being passed by every electric mobilty vehicle in the area.
    I've driven the 1.0l three pot that kept up with the traffic no problem, and also driven the bigger engined ones. It helps that you don't have to slow down much for corners...

0-60 times are irrelevant in the real world when most of your driving in town is 25-40 and out of town 50-70. The most fun I get on the road is in an 18 year old MX-5 - that doesn't have a lot of acceleration either.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    So at the end of the day the 125hp Fiesta ST line on a 21 plat for 15k looks like the winner.

By far the best car to drive, decent looking and decent interior with loads of toys.

Fits on well with my white sock Essex heritage as well.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    So at the end of the day the 125hp Fiesta ST line on a 21 plat for 15k looks like the winner.

By far the best car to drive, decent looking and decent interior with loads of toys.

Fits on well with my white sock Essex heritage as well.
    Nice! I know several people who have been happy with that car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X