• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too many applicants on Linkedin? Don't lose hope.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

I reported you for trolling and abuse so let's see what kind of shop they want to run. My post is no way abusive or trolling. Your comments are abusive gatekeeping.
    Reporting abuse and trolling in general is a bannable offence. It's kinda what it exists for you fawning lickspittle.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FODG and, while we're on the subject, FOG too.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm applying at the moment and one recruiter put a gig up for a Service Operations type role with a very good outside rate. From 5 people that commented they are interested there is a book keeper, two PMs, a housing manager, a PMO and a perm service person. It's an absolute joke. No wonder agents are had to get hold of and don't want to talk to us.
        Wait... you don't get head-hunted? Are you cut out for this contracting malarky

Teasing btw!
        Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I'm applying at the moment and one recruiter put a gig up for a Service Operations type role with a very good outside rate. From 5 people that commented they are interested there is a book keeper, two PMs, a housing manager, a PMO and a perm service person. It's an absolute joke. No wonder agents are had to get hold of and don't want to talk to us.
          Speak for yourself they feckin love me! Some even offer the going rate. I feel like NLyUK.

Linked-in & co all do tests to weed out the chancers. Luckily I do ok with the tests.

The recruiters like the over subscription it allows the pimp to claim its a very attractive role please drop your rate (or pants).
          I must stop asking if the salary is for 2 days a week

Though the clients are dreamers they all want Mark Russinovich or Joel Spolsky for £30K!

I'm waiting for my first 'needs five years experience of Fabric and a body like Elle McPherson' requirement, luckily I will be working closely with Fabric in the new job, the body not so much! Those employers are still looking, so Mark & Joel obviously aren't that desperate yet.

Just accepted a nice new job that kicks me a few percent closer to the magic 99th percentile of wages.

Just fire off plenty of applications where the job suits you (there are loads in my speciality) and they are paying a sensible rate, about 1 in 5 gets back to you. Hint Employers if you can't afford the going rate drop the skills requirements. If you can then put it on the advert, I don't bother to apply unless the company is really special if there is no salary range. Hint Government agencies you need to pay about double to compete. Band 7 my arse!

Also employers if you aren't sure what you want, find a decent recruiter and have a chat. So many job descriptions are so wide you need MacGyver and Steve Jobs' love child.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post

Wait... you don't get head-hunted? Are you cut out for this contracting malarky

Teasing btw!
            No. That was on here. Cojak head hunted me but that means she was after my head so she could shrink it and add it to her necklace.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Glad I don't really have to care anymore.
              Got two offers this week which is about right and I don't even work anymore (for those that don't know I can't work anymore, usal health for those in the know...)
              Not a CV or a 3 slide PowerPoint in sight.
              For what it's worth these posts have been doing the round on various forums since way before I started contracting and are still going even after I officially left (1995-2020)
              Someone will take the bait or an offshore outfit will bodyshop for the client (maybe what the client wants) - It's not right but that's the way the biscuit crumbles.
              I may have no choice but to back to work soon (not that it will end well - but that's another story). Actually looking forward to it in a way.
              In the stuff I have done post IT contracting (2013 -2020) but still freelance and contracting (Bum on seat for some of it but not IT and a lot success or product/service combo) you need to be known to get work, they don't post on Jobserve or Indeed. It's a small world. Your next line manager will know your previous one on this stuff and will have taken a reference before they speak to you.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Yeah, we know.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  FODG and, while we're on the subject, FOG too.
                  ​​​FODG. That's a new one.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                  X