• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thinking of retiring abroad?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone thinking of retiring abroad?

I'm not sure I can take much more of the tulipty weather in this country.

My preference would be somewhere English speaking, or at least where it's widely spoken. (I know, Benidorm )

I wouldn't want anywhere too hot all the year round like the Caribbean, Africa or South America. Apart from being too far away, Oz and NZ are not that easy to get in to. I wouldn't fancy the US either; too many Americans!

Logistically, Gibraltar would be a very easy place to move to but it's a bit claustrophobic and even a 1-bed flat costs £300k. Malta has English as an official language but property there is steep too. English is widely spoken in Cyprus, so that might be a possibility.

The Canaries would be my favourite for all year round decent weather but obviously they're not English speaking.

--------------------

Anyone else thinking of getting out of Blighty? Where to?
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 4 May 2023, 08:23.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Last time I checked, you could retire to Australia if you have enough cash and a good enough pension.

Edit: apparently that closed last year. https://www.unbiased.co.uk/discover/...e-to-australia
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

My preference would be somewhere English speaking, or at least where it's widely spoken. (I know, Benidorm )
      Most places in the Eurozone meet that if you aren't out in the sticks really. I might suggest Scandinavia but I'm not sure if you like their weather much better than ours - how are you with ice and snow?

We really liked Canada and in particular, Vancouver Island but again you do get proper weather there.
      Plenty of great places in the USA of course - pick a climate and it's there somewhere - but I don't know it's a place I'd want to live with things bubbling up so much right now, and I don't know if they'd let you in.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Most places in the Eurozone meet that if you aren't out in the sticks really. I might suggest Scandinavia but I'm not sure if you like their weather much better than ours - how are you with ice and snow?

We really liked Canada and in particular, Vancouver Island but again you do get proper weather there.
        Plenty of great places in the USA of course - pick a climate and it's there somewhere - but I don't know it's a place I'd want to live with things bubbling up so much right now, and I don't know if they'd let you in.
        If you can get in then Canada but for the USA its all woke tulip or the opposite and medical costs will kill you as you get older

Comment

Yep, Israel.

Wife wants by the sea(ish), I want Judea and Samaria (inland, lots of dusty hills etc.)

Will see what happens, not making too many plans at mo...

Comment

If you want countries where English is widely/well spoken (as per the Global English Proficiency Index) then apart from the countries/regions already mentioned, there aren't lots of other options.

How about Portugal? Some parts are a bit milder than the Algarve.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
              Yep, Israel.

Wife wants by the sea(ish), I want Judea and Samaria (inland, lots of dusty hills etc.)

Will see what happens, not making too many plans at mo...
              Problem with Israel is you're fine if you live by the coast / Tel Aviv and ignore the politics and news and aren't bothered about the vicious ethnic cleansing of the Palestinian population that's going on. A recent visit to Israel and the West Bank was quite an eye opener. Hearing first hand of the issues most Palestinians face and having a gun pointed at me by IDF while just driving into Jerusalem after a visit to the Dead Sea was unsettling. There's also the driving which guarantees a nice selection of dings Always buy the full insurance pack when driving in Israel

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                How about Portugal? Some parts are a bit milder than the Algarve.
                I can't see much advantage to Portugal over Spain, and property prices, especially on the Algarve, are much higher than the Costas.

I've only been to the Algarve once but I can't understand why people rave about the place. I think there are nicer resorts in Spain and, contrary to what I'd heard, I didn't find the people very friendly either.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I can't see much advantage to Portugal over Spain, and property prices, especially on the Algarve, are much higher than the Costas.

I've only been to the Algarve once but I can't understand why people rave about the place. I think there are nicer resorts in Spain and, contrary to what I'd heard, I didn't find the people very friendly either.
                  Edison was talking about parts other than the Algarve but you seem to have fixated on that one word and tarred the entire country. The Algarve to Portugal is like Benidorm to Spain. It's completely unrepresentative of the rest of the country. It's like saying the entire UK is exactly the same as Blackpool.

Does the country you move to have to have English as its first language or are you willing to at least put in a bit of effort to learn the language of a country where English is widely spoken and you can easily get by?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Does the country you move to have to have English as its first language or are you willing to at least put in a bit of effort to learn the language of a country where English is widely spoken and you can easily get by?
                    Just need to shout loudly and slowly in English.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X