• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone thinking of retiring abroad?"

Collapse

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Spellbinder View Post
    Portugal also includes the Azores islands and buying residential property there is still included in the Golden Visa qualification from 2022.....They removed the Algarve, Lisbon, Porto and a few others from being eligible last year
    It's been reported in the last couple of days that Spain are considering abolishing or amending the scheme too.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/new...ng-the-program

Leave a comment:

• Spellbinder
    replied
    Portugal also includes the Azores islands and buying residential property there is still included in the Golden Visa qualification from 2022.....They removed the Algarve, Lisbon, Porto and a few others from being eligible last year

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Bill C-16 amended the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Canadian Criminal Code to include “gender identity or expression” under the list of classifications protected from discrimination. In doing so it effectively criminalised objective reality and freedom of expression (i.e. it is now a criminal offence to call a bloke in a frock a man if he says that he is a woman).

C-16 is contentious for many reasons; not least the underhand way that the consultation process and passage through Parliament was managed.

Obviously, opinions will differ as to whether or not C-16 is "a bad thing"TM, but it is very clear that it leaves the women and girls of Canada woefully unprotected.

Google, as always, is your friend should you wish to dig any deeper.
    Well that's exactly the sort of stuff I meant by saying Canada was woke and 'progressive' - in line with states like CA and OR basically was my impression based on legalising weed, etc and this all seems in line with that.

Last time I was in Portland, OR I heard a parent tell their young child off for asking "what is that man [me] doing?" - not for being nosy but for assuming my gender!

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

What sort of things?
    Bill C-16 amended the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Canadian Criminal Code to include “gender identity or expression” under the list of classifications protected from discrimination. In doing so it effectively criminalised objective reality and freedom of expression (i.e. it is now a criminal offence to call a bloke in a frock a man if he says that he is a woman).

C-16 is contentious for many reasons; not least the underhand way that the consultation process and passage through Parliament was managed.

Obviously, opinions will differ as to whether or not C-16 is "a bad thing"TM, but it is very clear that it leaves the women and girls of Canada woefully unprotected.

Google, as always, is your friend should you wish to dig any deeper.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by wattaj View Post

Canada's equality laws are some of the most illiberal in the world. Best avoided until there is an outbreak of common sense.
    What sort of things?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    There is a reason I have a house in Spain and an EU passport

Leave a comment:

• wattaj
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I like Canada but surely that's at least as 'woke' - quite a progressive government? Canada just seems like USA turned down a couple of notches to me.
    Canada's equality laws are some of the most illiberal in the world. Best avoided until there is an outbreak of common sense.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

No, much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VT-1.jpg?w=1081&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	4262022
    An overcrowded swamp? Wow. What a great retirement.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

If you can get in then Canada but for the USA its all woke tulip or the opposite and medical costs will kill you as you get older
    There are a lot of moderates in the US still but you don't see them because you rarely get radical moderate activists It does seem a country in turmoil but then I suppose that's on the large scale, if you can find the right town it could still be great.

I like Canada but surely that's at least as 'woke' - quite a progressive government? Canada just seems like USA turned down a couple of notches to me.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied

No, much better.
    Not if you're young and after sun, sea and sand. Oh yes, and cheap booze and casual sex.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

Sunny Beach?
    No, much better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VT-1.jpg?w=1081&ssl=1.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	4262022

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    I have one villa with smallholding and a nearby vineyard in Bulgaria.
    Sunny Beach?

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I have one villa with smallholding and a nearby vineyard in Bulgaria. There are quite a few Brits in BG but not all clustered together (unlike in Spain). English is wildly spoken. Internet better than UK. Varied countryside, mountains and skiing in winter, some flat plain and seaside. There is much freedom to roam and many places to explore. Real summer lasts about six weeks longer than the UK with temperatures in the 30s (sometimes 40c) If you are retired with a pension you will qualify for a D visa and residency. Income tax and company tax is very low (10%) Ltd Co easy to set up. (Moving to BG was a lot simpler prior to Brexit.) Strangely, more Brits are moving to BG after Brexit that before.

A liveable house will cost from 20,000e to around 100,000e +. My Council Tax for this year for three buildings and 2 acres of land was 40e. I just love being able to drive to town and park free and not bothered by lots of regulations.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

What attracts me the most is the complete lack of rain. I like cycling and it's crap in the UK. I'd obviously like to cycle more when I'm retired and have loads of time in my hands and I can't see myself doing it in the uk where every year is worse than the one before precipitation wise.
    It's worth checking out Fuerteventura which has the same climate as Lanzarote. The roads are a lot quieter, and there are miles of off-road tracks. Property is quite a bit cheaper too.

30% of the population of Fuerte are expats, a figure which will probably continue to grow. Brits and Irish make up the biggest share, and for most other country's expats English is a second language. I wouldn't be surprised if the island becomes increasingly anglicised in the years to come.

Leave a comment:

• PCTNN
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

+1

Around 27°C at its hottest in August/September, and 20°C in January/February. Plus very few insects; hardly any mozzies.

We were out there in early March, and it was balmy compared to here.
    What attracts me the most is the complete lack of rain. I like cycling and it's crap in the UK. I'd obviously like to cycle more when I'm retired and have loads of time in my hands and I can't see myself doing it in the uk where every year is worse than the one before precipitation wise.

Last time I was there I think I saw a big banner saying you could get a visa if you bought a 250k+ property.

Not that I need it as I have a EU passport but still sounds doable for britons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X