• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Typical GenZ

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typical GenZ

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...eader-comments

Historic train carriages are taken out of service... because Gen Z passengers can't work out how to open the doors
    • EXCLUSIVE: Younger staff and passengers bamboozled by traditional doors
    • Train carriages that have served for a century now out of use due to confusion

Does seem they could be easily modified to have door open sensors and electronic releases. A nice backlit brass pusbutton could be sympathetically added.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I love how the headline is just completely and utterly made up, with absolutely nothing supporting the assertion in the entire article. I find it hard to believe Gen Z make up much of the user base.

Volunteers at a heritage railway in the north of England told the Daily Mail of operational staff being drunk on duty and drivers regularly passing red signals – describing the railway as 'an asylum'.

Another premier line has been threatened with prosecution by the Office of Road and Rail after an officer made an unannounced visit.

They found that the recommendations they had made after a member of staff fell from a locomotive were being ignored.
    Sounds like the problems are far more insidious than "Huh, dumb kids"

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
      I love how the headline is just completely and utterly made up, with absolutely nothing supporting the assertion in the entire article. I find it hard to believe Gen Z make up much of the user base.
      Sounds like the problems are far more insidious than "Huh, dumb kids"
      Yes, heritage railways are well known to be run by volunteers who are under 30.

But the coffin dodgers need to keep being told how everything that is wrong with society is the fault of their children (can't be anything to do with how they were raised, can it?), or "others".

Of course, the real reason is mentioned in the article, but that doesn't sell the story...
      Withdrawing the carriages is thought to have happened following a serious accident involving heritage trains at Loughborough Central station on the Great Central Railway in January.

In the incident passenger tumbled out of a carriage that had stopped on the slope of the platform – resulting in a fall of around five feet in which the passenger was seriously injured.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you see something for the first time it can be tricky. Older people found those modern train toilets confusing with the push buttons, for instance.
        You only have to go abroad to realise that something as simple as a door can vary a lot.

In fact there's a pub we know in Yorkshire (not quite another country) which has an old fashioned raise-latch on the door instead of a handle. You often hear someone rattling trying to get in until they figure it out or see the sign above.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          If you see something for the first time it can be tricky. Older people found those modern train toilets confusing with the push buttons, for instance.
          You only have to go abroad to realise that something as simple as a door can vary a lot.

In fact there's a pub we know in Yorkshire (not quite another country) which has an old fashioned raise-latch on the door instead of a handle. You often hear someone rattling trying to get in until they figure it out or see the sign above.
          To be fair the original doors were hard to use, I grew up with them. However making them safe without spoiling the appearance seems fairly easy. Rather than remove them from service.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

To be fair the original doors were hard to use, I grew up with them. However making them safe without spoiling the appearance seems fairly easy. Rather than remove them from service.
            They were taken out of service because someone fell from the Great Western Carriage, and they have had more accidents with those carriages than with other.
            It's not the fault of the under 70s.

Comment

There is a flip side, my father-in-law still tries to change the tv channel with his Doro mobile phone.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

They were taken out of service because someone fell from the Great Western Carriage, and they have had more accidents with those carriages than with other.
                It's not the fault of the under 70s.
                oh dear you having difficulties, too many concepts in this story for you to cope?

1. GenZ when confronted with such doors do have difficulty opening them because it is not obvious. This was used to supply the headline which is normally a significant part of the story intended to draw you in. There is likely to be more information in the text.
                2. Apparently the volunteers are not as safety conscious as one would expect, apparently been seen drunk.
                3. The Doors design is not as safe as latter door designs probably due to the experience GWR had of customers falling out of them.
                4. There was an incident where a person fell out of the door.

I suggested adding electronic safety devices such as a door closed contact and a centrally controlled solenoid lock with a suitable pushbutton would safeguard passengers and you keep bleating on that it isn't genZ's fault!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I don't think you grew up with those doors, they're not slam doors that latch, you have to actively lock the damn things.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

I don't think you grew up with those doors, they're not slam doors that latch, you have to actively lock the damn things.
                    The very last GWR coaches went out of service in 1947, so if Vet grew up with them, then he must be 80+

Comment

Working...
                    X