• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ChatGPT suggestions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChatGPT suggestions

What do you use it for? Any good suggestions?

Am sure all the job ads will be written using this.
    And is a dream for students writing essays until the teacher has 10 matching submissions.

Lots of ways it can be used that I've been looking at this past month:

1. Spinning ideas. Give it a list of things that you want to do and ask for a list of 10 ideas "only list title and a 1 sentence description for each". If nonthing you like, just say "another 10". Then you can ask it for more detail in implementing an idea.

2. Code partner. Ask how to, past code ask it to explain, improve, fix bugs etc.

3. Text simplification. Paste a lump of text and ask it to make it more readable, or explain certain things.

4. Interview questions/answers. Ask for questions and answers in a specific area. Use them to learn. If it's too dry ask for a more conversational style.

As a dev, the future is doomed unless you get to harness this stuff. It will turn regular devs into 10x devs. It'll kill off the dinosaurs. It'll kill of the devs who are stick in the muds or can't interpret things properly.

Comment

Hopefully it'll write my macro for me

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Hopefully it'll write my macro for me
        haven't you taught the maid VBA yet?

Seems popular for writing goodbye mails sent by departing colleagues and posts on CUK.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

haven't you taught the maid VBA yet?
          No, my maid is fully trained neurosurgeon and absolutely useless at cleaning

Comment

It's already written newspaper tourism articles, and on here we have used it to generate news like articles.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've just asked it about one of my products and its replied with some sentences straight off my own website/documentation and a list of standard clauses that could apply to any such product. So its a sophisticated search engine with access to content generators but nothing more, certainly not actual intelligence

Comment

I find it's handy for the kind of odd tasks that I'd usually have to look in a book for, or Google and sift through blog posts, because I don't do them very often. This morning I asked it to give me some Python code for creating an AWS Lambda function, or updating it if it already exists. Easy enough to find examples online, but it spat out a script which looks like it should be adequate, including better argument parsing than I usually bother with for quick-and-dirty scripts like this (because argument parsing is another thing I always have to Google).

Of course I have to review it and add some additional boilerplate for my specific circumstances, but I'd have to do that with a blog post or a cookbook recipe.

And quickweb's idea about getting it to come up with ten ideas for {thing} is a handy way to get started thinking about something new

Simon Willison has been finding some interesting uses for it: TILs at https://til.simonwillison.net/gpt3 and more detailed blog posts at https://simonwillison.net/tags/chatgpt/

Comment

We'll know it's getting somewhere when NLUK starts replying to posts with "Have you asked ChatGPT yet?"
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    We'll know it's getting somewhere when NLUK starts replying to posts with "Have you asked ChatGPT yet?"
                    KUATB

https://forums.contractoruk.com/acco...ml#post2970635

Have you asked ChatGPT? It has a ring to it. Guess I have to move with the times

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X