• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you all using SIPPs now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Your company can pay into it.

Just make sure you mark it as an employer contribution.
    On whose side? The pensions company? My accounts/freeagent?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

On whose side? The pensions company? My accounts/freeagent?
      The Pension company, so they dont try and claim the tax back as if it were an employee contrib.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Your company can pay into it.

Just make sure you mark it as an employer contribution.
        And IIRC there is no annual limit at all on what your company can contribute (so the date is not a factor) as long as you don't go into a loss. But for personal pensions you can roll over 3 (4?) years contributions so if you haven't been making contributions before, again the 5th is probably not an issue.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Happy new tax year everyone

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Yes I know the tax setup but I was curious once the funds are in your SIPP/ISA do you use different investment strategies for the two? I was considering that I might effectively mirror them if I went with a SIPP so e.g if the ISA owns 23% of X, 34% of Y and 43% of Z, so does the SIPP - as I buy or sell in the ISA I mirror the same % holdings in the SIPP so I view it as one portfolio split across two different containers.
          I don't treat them any differently from each other, with one exception: I have lower-risk lower-return investments in my pension, compared with my ISA, because I want to reduce the risk of it going above the £1 million limit after which you are taxed very heavily on it. Although the government has recently removed this extra tax, Labour say they are going to re-instate it if they get into power. There is no benefit to taking this risk. So if I am lucky enough to get my pension close to £1M in due course I am likely to sell everything and sit on cash instead.

Comment

I got the feeling a lot of people have gone the SIPP route these days so just wondered how you handle it.

TIA.
            Don’t make any contributions from your company. Keeping the money in the company is almost the same as having it in a SIPP anyway (you defer the tax until you take it out).

If you ever have to endure the horrors of an inside IR35 contract you will need your pension allowances. If I work for the full year (inside) I will pop 180,000 into my SIPP which cuts my tax rate from 50% to 20% and neatly sidesteps all that higher rate tax business.

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

If you ever have to endure the horrors of an inside IR35 contract you will need your pension allowances. If I work for the full year (inside) I will pop 180,000 into my SIPP which cuts my tax rate from 50% to 20% and neatly sidesteps all that higher rate tax business.
              yeh, 'course you will

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

yeh, 'course you will
                Most people on here put up figures in GBP, while HB uses ZWD
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Most people on here put up figures in GBP, while HB uses ZWD
                  KPW more like

Comment

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

Don’t make any contributions from your company. Keeping the money in the company is almost the same as having it in a SIPP anyway (you defer the tax until you take it out).
                    Well in a SIPP you are investing it rather than it sitting in a business bank account at 1%... unless your company owns shares (presumably it can?)

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

And IIRC there is no annual limit at all on what your company can contribute (so the date is not a factor) as long as you don't go into a loss.
                      I’m pretty sure you can go into a loss. Tesco don’t stop paying their staff pensions if they make a loss one year - so it should be the same for Yourco. I think there’s something vague about it being reasonable or something.

(but as I said before it’s not a great idea pay yourself a pension from your company anymore)

Comment

Working...
                      X