• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you all using SIPPs now?"

Collapse

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Wouldn't be very tax efficient though, because if Tesco is paying staff employer pension contributions having made a loss, that money is coming from retained earnings from previous years which has already been taxed via corporation tax I think.
    Yes it would since the nice people at HMRC give you back the corporation tax if you make a loss (and bigger pensions mean bigger losses).

But don’t do it because pretty soon you may find yourself on minimum wage and paying £15,000 a month into a SIPP!

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by hugebrain View Post

I’m pretty sure you can go into a loss. Tesco don’t stop paying their staff pensions if they make a loss one year - so it should be the same for Yourco. I think there’s something vague about it being reasonable or something.

(but as I said before it’s not a great idea pay yourself a pension from your company anymore)
    Wouldn't be very tax efficient though, because if Tesco is paying staff employer pension contributions having made a loss, that money is coming from retained earnings from previous years which has already been taxed via corporation tax I think.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Well in a SIPP you are investing it rather than it sitting in a business bank account at 1%... unless your company owns shares (presumably it can?)
    Yes, my company owns shares. It’s a bit of a mix which is better - with the company the money is a bit more accessible and you can use profits to pay yourself a salary for example.

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied

And IIRC there is no annual limit at all on what your company can contribute (so the date is not a factor) as long as you don't go into a loss.
    I’m pretty sure you can go into a loss. Tesco don’t stop paying their staff pensions if they make a loss one year - so it should be the same for Yourco. I think there’s something vague about it being reasonable or something.

(but as I said before it’s not a great idea pay yourself a pension from your company anymore)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Don’t make any contributions from your company. Keeping the money in the company is almost the same as having it in a SIPP anyway (you defer the tax until you take it out).
    Well in a SIPP you are investing it rather than it sitting in a business bank account at 1%... unless your company owns shares (presumably it can?)

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Most people on here put up figures in GBP, while HB uses ZWD
    KPW more like

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

yeh, 'course you will
    Most people on here put up figures in GBP, while HB uses ZWD

Leave a comment:

• sadkingbilly
    replied

If you ever have to endure the horrors of an inside IR35 contract you will need your pension allowances. If I work for the full year (inside) I will pop 180,000 into my SIPP which cuts my tax rate from 50% to 20% and neatly sidesteps all that higher rate tax business.
    yeh, 'course you will

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied

I got the feeling a lot of people have gone the SIPP route these days so just wondered how you handle it.

TIA.
    Don’t make any contributions from your company. Keeping the money in the company is almost the same as having it in a SIPP anyway (you defer the tax until you take it out).

If you ever have to endure the horrors of an inside IR35 contract you will need your pension allowances. If I work for the full year (inside) I will pop 180,000 into my SIPP which cuts my tax rate from 50% to 20% and neatly sidesteps all that higher rate tax business.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Happy new tax year everyone

Yes I know the tax setup but I was curious once the funds are in your SIPP/ISA do you use different investment strategies for the two? I was considering that I might effectively mirror them if I went with a SIPP so e.g if the ISA owns 23% of X, 34% of Y and 43% of Z, so does the SIPP - as I buy or sell in the ISA I mirror the same % holdings in the SIPP so I view it as one portfolio split across two different containers.
    I don't treat them any differently from each other, with one exception: I have lower-risk lower-return investments in my pension, compared with my ISA, because I want to reduce the risk of it going above the £1 million limit after which you are taxed very heavily on it. Although the government has recently removed this extra tax, Labour say they are going to re-instate it if they get into power. There is no benefit to taking this risk. So if I am lucky enough to get my pension close to £1M in due course I am likely to sell everything and sit on cash instead.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Your company can pay into it.

Just make sure you mark it as an employer contribution.
    And IIRC there is no annual limit at all on what your company can contribute (so the date is not a factor) as long as you don't go into a loss. But for personal pensions you can roll over 3 (4?) years contributions so if you haven't been making contributions before, again the 5th is probably not an issue.

Leave a comment:

• 56samba
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post

On whose side? The pensions company? My accounts/freeagent?
    The Pension company, so they dont try and claim the tax back as if it were an employee contrib.

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

On whose side? The pensions company? My accounts/freeagent?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    With the end of FY today, is there anything one can do to get money into a pension of some sort?

I have an old permit pension that takes incoming payments by Faster Payment, can my company pay into that or do you need to do something else? Or if you're not looking to max out the 40k for the year does it matter if its done this week or next?

Leave a comment:

• PerfectStorm
    replied
    With the end of FY today, is there anything one can do to get money into a pension of some sort?

I have an old permit pension that takes incoming payments by Faster Payment, can my company pay into that or do you need to do something else? Or if you're not looking to max out the 40k for the year does it matter if its done this week or next?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X