• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not sure what to make of this one.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rik sherman View Post
    Tailgating is £100 fine and 3 points on the license.

If someone is tailgating me I will increase the distance between myself and the car in front of me, if needed, to allow an initial light braking to get the tailgater to start braking without hitting me or I will pull over, if possible, to get the dangerous twat out of my danger zone.
    Originally posted by Warty the tulip driver View Post

My stats are, 34 years driving, multiple countries, 20k plus miles most years, zero points, zero accidents

Who has never seen anyone tailgating despite it being implicated in 1 & 8 road casualties, goes everywhere on cruise control and who gets annoyed if he feels someone took too long at a roundabout!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I drive at 70 ... on cruise control ... I drive on the M5, M6, M40, M42 and M25 frequently .... I never had cars tailgate me, and I never have drivers flashing their lights at me. I mean, rear view mirrors are for checking my make up, aren't they?
      FTFY
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        yes but how dare you stop the WTFHighway says you shouldn't.
        No, that's not what I said.

I said it's a give way. Do you know what that means?

It doesn't mean in 100% of situations you must come to a complete stop and engage the handbrake before moving off - even if you think otherwise.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

No, that's not what I said.

I said it's a give way. Do you know what that means?

It doesn't mean in 100% of situations you must come to a complete stop and engage the handbrake before moving off - even if you think otherwise.
          Isn't that a stop sign?

They are very rare in the UK. I can only remember one in London.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you don't see emergency vehicles until they are 6 feet from your rear bumper you need to get out of everyone's way and take the bus.
            Ziggy got the joke.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Isn't that a stop sign?

They are very rare in the UK. I can only remember one in London.
              Yes, a stop sign is when you're supposed to stop.

When joining a roundabout normally it's not a stop but a give way. (Please note that there are exceptions, such as where traffic lights control the flow, making the traffic light a stop sign when it is red, but these are exceptions, not the normal design or rules for a roundabout.)
              If the roundabout is clear and you can check for on-coming traffic and it's safe for you to proceed, then you do not need to come to a complete stop. The other poster stops at every roundabout, so he says. That tells me he's unaware of the highway code and unaware of his surroundings when driving.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If someone is tailgating me I will increase the distance between myself and the car in front of me, if needed, to allow an initial light braking to get the tailgater to start braking without hitting me or I will pull over, if possible, to get the dangerous twat out of my danger zone.
                Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Ziggy got the joke.
                yep, so did I which is why I took the mick!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Yes, a stop sign is when you're supposed to stop.

When joining a roundabout normally it's not a stop but a give way. (Please note that there are exceptions, such as where traffic lights control the flow, making the traffic light a stop sign when it is red, but these are exceptions, not the normal design or rules for a roundabout.)
                  If the roundabout is clear and you can check for on-coming traffic and it's safe for you to proceed, then you do not need to come to a complete stop. The other poster stops at every roundabout, so he says. That tells me he's unaware of the highway code and unaware of his surroundings when driving.
                  I didn't say I stop at every roundabout, I said I stop at roundabouts - i.e. where appropriate. All driving is a decision.

Comment

Who has never seen anyone tailgating despite it being implicated in 1 & 8 road casualties, goes everywhere on cruise control and who gets annoyed if he feels someone took too long at a roundabout!
                    Love how you change a statement to an 'always' happens ... I never said I drive everywhere on cruise control. I said I use it on motorways and set it to 70 (obviously where and when safe, seems I need to explain everything in simple language to you)

I didn't say I didn't say I don't see tailgating, I said I don't experience it. To keep it simple for you, I don't get tailgated as I drive in a way that I don't block lanes and force drivers up my tailpipe.

Yes, I get annoyed at drivers who hesitate and don't drive progressively ... not just roundabouts, but give way junctions too. But being annoyed doesn't mean I engage road rage ... it means I back off them and give them more space as they are a danger and I stay out of their way.

Next ...
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

FTFY
                      Us youngsters use our phones to help with makeup application these days. Come on oldie, get with the times.
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X