• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do with ones years income?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do with ones years income?

I have just received a windfall equivalent to about one years gross income from contracting.

I am unsure what to do with it - my heart says it should go in the pension pot but property is also an option. I could also risk the lot trying to escape the drudgery of writing code for faceless corporations and doing something I really want to do.

Anyone been in this position recently and what did you do?

Presumably this is non-taxable. On that basis, there's no point putting it into pension.

A few years ago, I received a 'windfall'. I put this into the best interest-paying account I could find and then used it to bring forward transition from full-time work to early retirement / part-time work.

If I'd had any high-cost debt, I'd have looked at paying down on that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Do what hunter did! (Hookers and Crack)

Hunter Biden spent $30k in five months on 'the girlfriend experience'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-reveal.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	59686521-10966153-image-m-42_1656536323585.jpg Views:	0 Size:	93.0 KB ID:	4252057

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
        Presumably this is non-taxable. On that basis, there's no point putting it into pension.

A few years ago, I received a 'windfall'. I put this into the best interest-paying account I could find and then used it to bring forward transition from full-time work to early retirement / part-time work.

If I'd had any high-cost debt, I'd have looked at paying down on that.
        Good point. I guess I could hugely overpay pension from contracting and partially live from tax free windfall whilst getting the best interest rate I can from it.

Comment

Good point. I guess I could hugely overpay pension from contracting and partially live from tax free windfall whilst getting the best interest rate I can from it.
          That would be my plan but I'm old. Aldermore have 3.9% 3 year cash ISA's going if you are looking at locking some away, higher accounts that aren't isas but obviously tax is an issue. I'd be having a punt on the premium bonds on what I can't get in the ISA as well. Had about 2/3rds max for 6 months and they've done much better than any savings accounts. Could have done worse but was fun getting the emails.

So I'd probably divi it up from short term to long term, something like an amount of cash to live on, amount in premium bonds for short term, mid term ISA, longer term pension. I wouldn't bother using a windfall on shares or anything personally. It would be nice safe money to fall back on. Riskier investments are done from my daily churn if you get me.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have just received a windfall equivalent to about one years gross income from contracting.

I am unsure what to do with it - my heart says it should go in the pension pot but property is also an option. I could also risk the lot trying to escape the drudgery of writing code for faceless corporations and doing something I really want to do.

Invest it in the stock market could double it in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post

Invest it in the stock market could double it in a few years.
              Do you really think the FTSE 100 is going to 16,000 or FTSE 250 is going to 40,000 within a few years?

If you think some individual stocks might double then you need to name them for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Do you really think the FTSE 100 is going to 16,000 or FTSE 250 is going to 40,000 within a few years?

If you think some individual stocks might double then you need to name them for us.
                TSLA

Comment

Max out your (and spouse if relevant) ISAs if not already done - potentially for 2022 and 2023 tax year given it's nearly April.
                  See if there's some improvement on the house you were considering having done.
                  Go on a lavish holiday.
                  Buy something you wouldn't normally justify like a swanky car upgrade.
                  Take a 'sabbatical' for a few months next time your contract ends.
                  Find a worthy charity or individuals you think could genuinely be blessed by the money, or buy people expensive gifts (like a car for a family member or something)
                  Look at some more unusual/interesting investments that you wouldn't typically use, on top of whatever you normally do - fine wine, a cask of whisky, Crypto, gold bars under the bed, ...
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Invest in "Uncle Albert's shipping line". As safe as the Titanic.

If that's too risky, do a mix of Premium bonds, ISA's and gold. If there's anything left over, put it all on the third horse (alphbetically) in the Epsom Derby.
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                    X