• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you do with ones years income?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got an inheritance 6 years ago. Each month I spent 1/12 of it buying shares over a wide range of sectors. It's grown in value quite nicely, despite Covid and Putin's war. Initially I had a subscription to fool.com, which I feel was value for money, as prior to that I was a newbie in the stock market.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      One option is to post on an internet forum full of anoymous posters to wave your dick around and listen to the dreams of your peers.
      I guess a lot of us will receive an inheritance of some size.

In any case the dick waving on this forum normally concerns day rate, property portfolio, the car you drive and the lady standing next to it in the photo.

At least there is a lot less dick waving about tax efficiency schemes these days.
      Last edited by TheDude; 8 February 2023, 09:01.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

I'm not waving my dick about.

If I wanted to do that I would buy a sports car rather than drive a Ford Torneo Connect.
        You could try spelling lessons.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          If you have a microphallus, you could buy one of these to compensate:

Click image for larger version

Name:	lambo_huracan_090.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	4252109
          if you have a microphallus and a small budget get a hairdresser's car?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Depends if he can get more in savings interest than what he's paying on mortgage interest.
            It's usually worth overpaying (vs savings) if doing so will bring the LTV < 60%. The next mortgage renewal should then be cheaper.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Invest the money in time with the people who matter to you.
              So arrange and pay for a monthly CUK jolly

Comment

I was in a similar position last year when I inherited a share of my dad's house equivalent to about two years gross contracting income. One thing I would suggest is to take your time to think about what to use it for considering your life goals, family/any dependents, current income, savings, outstanding debts like mortgages etc. Don't rush out and buy a fancy car or similar.

My outlook on life changed after my dad passed away. I now prioritise free time and experiences over anything material, and am thinking more about my kids' financial future.

In the end, I earmarked about a third of the money for paying towards the kids to go to university and a couple of long haul family holidays to visit extended family that my wife and I have thought about for 10 years but never got round to doing.

The rest is to give me more of a cushion to work less days per year over the next 5-6 years till I hit 60 odd and switch to more part time working.

Comment

Depending on what the oncologist says tomorrow, I might have a chunk of life insurance to decide what to do with. I guess mortgage paid off, some to kids, and after some trips here and there, then the rest to the wife.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
                    Depending on what the oncologist says tomorrow, I might have a chunk of life insurance to decide what to do with. I guess mortgage paid off, some to kids, and after the remainder on black in Vegas give the rest to the wife.
                    FTFY, Fingers crossed for you, been too close that and have test next week to make sure still clear.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

FTFY, Fingers crossed for you, been too close that and have test next week to make sure still clear.
                      fingers crossed for both of you!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X