• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blast from the past (re: Fred Brooks)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

M$ ... Windoze
    Really? Still, in 2022? You're a bit old to be talking like a spotty 14-yo from 1992
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Youngsters, my first attempt at programming was toggling the code in on the front panel of a PDP8 and the next experience was punching holes in paper tape My dad got into programming in the early 50's as a civil servant when they came round asking for people to be programmers (no experience necessary) for the new computer thingy that was the size of a house for the DHSS He got membership of the BCS just for being a programmer in those early days.

I remember Algol, Fortran and the early days of C and writing programs in Fortran then taking the assembler output and optimising it to improve performance Nowadays its Java all the way for me
      Last edited by tazdevil; 6 December 2022, 11:38. Reason: wrong dates

Comment

My first job was Ada 83 on OpenVMS using a dumb text editor working for Logica.

I was unlucky not to be in one of the better departments using modern technology and it took me a few years to escape legacy hell.

That said I learned a hell of a lot.
        Last edited by TheDude; 6 December 2022, 11:36.

Comment

Sinclair Basic on ZX81, then CPM for building voicemails.

The change has been incredible.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
            Youngsters, my first attempt at programming was toggling the code in on the front panel of a PDP8 and the next experience was punching holes in paper tape My dad got into programming in the early 50's as a civil servant when they came round asking for people to be programmers (no experience necessary) for the new computer thingy that was the size of a house for the DHSS He got membership of the BCS just for being a programmer in those early days.

I remember Algol, Fortran and the early days of C and writing programs in Fortran then taking the assembler output and optimising it to improve performance Nowadays its Java all the way for me
            My dad worked on the PDP...11 I want to say. They were just switching to things like MS-DOS3 and Novell as I became old enough to understand such things, he worked on the early days of computerising the printing industry.
            So luckily the oldest I ever had to work on was MS-DOS on an AMSTRAD 1512 (which was awesome).
            Although at uni my physics course insisted on teaching us FORTRAN while CompSci was focusing on Java (even back then they were trying to ditch C++)
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Ah. Zorland C. There's a copy of that in the front room office somwhere. On 5.25" floppies. .

I did quite a lot with that.

There's a copy of M$ FORTRAN 77 in there somewhere too.

I did quite a lot with that. . (Though it's been untouched since 1991 when Siliconix closed down).

There's a copy of M$ C V3 in there too, with the Windoze(tm) SDK on a single floppy IIRC.
              Yes, didn't Borland threaten to sue them or something, so they changed their name to Zortech.

Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                I think it was called Joel on Software and was written by Joel Spolsky but yes, it was a brilliant blog
                Agreed, read a lot of his stuff back in the day. His Netscape rewrite article referenced in the OP is a classic, as are many of his posts actually.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

My dad worked on the PDP...11 I want to say. They were just switching to things like MS-DOS3 and Novell as I became old enough to understand such things, he worked on the early days of computerising the printing industry.
                  So luckily the oldest I ever had to work on was MS-DOS on an AMSTRAD 1512 (which was awesome).
                  Although at uni my physics course insisted on teaching us FORTRAN while CompSci was focusing on Java (even back then they were trying to ditch C++)
                  Yes I worked with the PDP 11 and RSX-11M forerunner to VMS which was the forerunner to WNT which became Windows (same design lead). Factoid, VMS > WNT, IBM > HAL

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

Yes I worked with the PDP 11 and RSX-11M forerunner to VMS which was the forerunner to WNT which became Windows (same design lead). Factoid, VMS > WNT, IBM > HAL
                    you missed OS2.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

you missed OS2.
                      Yup was subscribed to IBM's OS2 developer programme

Comment

Working...
                      X