• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blast from the past (re: Fred Brooks)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blast from the past (re: Fred Brooks)

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Fred Brooks Has Died - Slashdot

Author of The Mythical Man-Month and other seminal writings on software project management
    I was reminded by this of the Joel on Spolsky [software, my typo ] blog which I used to love as a young developer (though really back then I was just someone who hacked code), I'm sure Joel referenced this book several times.

Today's read was a classic but how many modern developers have even heard of Netscape? https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/...ver-do-part-i/
    I saw someone comment on the Fred Brooks news claiming that many developers don't even know it used to be common to try and estimate in man-months which gave me pause for thought. I'd never considered there were people who only know software planning using story points and so on?!

Last edited by d000hg; 6 December 2022, 12:48.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

You are now one of those who were around when you started working.

When is waterfall coming back?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

When is waterfall coming back?
      never really went away it wraps agile on big projects.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yes Netscape Navigator, Mosaic browser, AltaVista search engine, them were the days and DEC being leader of the pack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          true although I have been coding since I was 5 so I was familiar with obsolete tech before I even started working... GWBASIC was my first exposure taught by my dad, then I found a random copy of Microsoft C 5.0 in the house in my teen years. A long way from the heady heights of Visual Studio 6

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

true although I have been coding since I was 5 so I was familiar with obsolete tech before I even started working... GWBASIC was my first exposure taught by my dad, then I found a random copy of Microsoft C 5.0 in the house in my teen years. A long way from the heady heights of Visual Studio 6

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

real men used Turbo C, I bet you don't even own Sandals!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

real men used Turbo C, I bet you don't even own Sandals!
                I used what I found in the cupboard that my dad had taken from work. There was also an 8086/8088 assembler and that was it until I discovered C++ as a teen, though I cannot remember what toolset this was using now. I do remember longingly reading the adverts for Watcom C++ (11?) in the back of magazines

Comment

I used what I found in the cupboard that my dad had taken from work. There was also an 8086/8088 assembler and that was it until I discovered C++ as a teen, though I cannot remember what toolset this was using now. I do remember longingly reading the adverts for Watcom C++ (11?) in the back of magazines
                  Turbo C was a compiler an old friend lent me early in my career.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Turbo C was a compiler an old friend lent me early in my career.
                    I do vaguely recall the name... back in the days when it really mattered which you used (because most were terrible) IIRC? We don't know we're born with the tools we have these days

Comment

Working...
                    X