• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Blast from the past (re: Fred Brooks)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I do vaguely recall the name... back in the days when it really mattered which you used (because most were terrible) IIRC? We don't know we're born with the tools we have these days
    yes VScode is a thousand miles from VIM. Though to be fair i7s are a bit faster than an 8086. I was coding on a 286, turbo C still gave many opportunities to make tea.

Though writing Excel 5 VBA on a 286 isn't a joy either.

Back to Joel Spolsky (Mornington crescent)

oh cool PHPexcel

https://github.com/cystbear/PHPExcel...der/Excel5.php
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I used what I found in the cupboard that my dad had taken from work. There was also an 8086/8088 assembler and that was it until I discovered C++ as a teen, though I cannot remember what toolset this was using now. I do remember longingly reading the adverts for Watcom C++ (11?) in the back of magazines
      The 8086 assembler was probably MASM - I used to use MASM 5 in conjunction with the CodeView debugger back when I was doing DOS game conversions for a living

Comment

I was reminded by this of the Joel on Spolsky blog
        I think it was called Joel on Software and was written by Joel Spolsky but yes, it was a brilliant blog

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          I think it was called Joel on Software and was written by Joel Spolsky but yes, it was a brilliant blog
          It was!

I went to a tech talk by him when he was once in the UK.

He didn't seem up his behind when people went to chat to him afterwards.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

The 8086 assembler was probably MASM - I used to use MASM 5 in conjunction with the CodeView debugger back when I was doing DOS game conversions for a living
            There's a copy of MASM in the front room office on top of a bookcase. Can't remember the last time I used that version.

I used an early version on a Compaq Portable III to write an IR thingie to control the Sky box by pretending to be the Sky zapper.

Unfortunately the motherboard was eaten by the battery backup.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It was!

I went to a tech talk by him when he was once in the UK.

He didn't seem up his behind when people went to chat to him afterwards.
              A friend met Jeff Atwood and said he was really down to earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                Doh that's what I thought I had typed. Blame this tired old brain

I liked their company's FogBugz tool as well but I have never seen any client use it. I remember they were also heavily pushing Mercurial over Git which seems to be one battle they lost though at the time Hg seemed nicer to me.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

real men used Turbo C, I bet you don't even own Sandals!
                  IIRC Turbo C was one of the first to come with it's own (very basic) IDE with context sensitive colours?

Going away to get a brew while it compiled was fairly usual in those days... oh for slower-paced software development

I think the first C compiler I ever used was Zortech C.
                  Sinclair BASIC and the Zeus Z80 assembler before that...

Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

IIRC Turbo C was one of the first to come with it's own (very basic) IDE with context sensitive colours?

Going away to get a brew while it compiled was fairly usual in those days... oh for slower-paced software development

Ah. Zorland C. There's a copy or two in the front room office somewhere. On 5.25" floppies. .

I did quite a lot with that.

There's a copy of M$ FORTRAN 77 in there somewhere too.

I did quite a lot with that. . (Though it's been untouched since 1991 when Siliconix closed down).

There's a copy of M$ C V3 in there too, with the Windoze(tm) SDK on a single floppy IIRC.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 6 December 2022, 13:22.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post

switch to ADF you catch up with your reading as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X