• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Christians dying out or..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post

The proportion of the UK population who are Muslims has indeed gone up. However, in the context of the fall in the longer term proportion of Christians, that is mostly due to the increase in people who say they have no religion. Since 2001, the proportion of Christians has fallen around 25 percentage points according to the ONS, whilst those with no religion has risen around 23 percentage points.

I never said that Islam was the entire reason just that it was part of it. My reply was to WTFH's post suggesting racism was the cause for those bemoaning the latest census where mass immigration has changed the face of the UK without the electorate being consulted.

In new births however it is obvious Muslim parents are having a larger percentage of the babies than most realise.

I pointed out in earlier posts coming out as an atheist is much easier now and is probably the majority cause.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

Hear, Hear
      Atheists are often imposing their religious views though. Whorty doesn't want (quite reasonably) someone saying "your wife's in a better place" but he's happy to tell everyone else in this thread what happened to their deceased parents, spouses, children.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Atheists are often imposing their religious views though. Whorty doesn't want (quite reasonably) someone saying "your wife's in a better place" but he's happy to tell everyone else in this thread what happened to their deceased parents, spouses, children.
        Atheist with religious views? an oxymoron.

or just a moron

Comment

Atheists are often imposing their religious views though

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            My reply was to WTFH's post suggesting racism was the cause for those bemoaning the latest census where mass immigration has changed the face of the UK without the electorate being consulted.
            I didn’t say it was racism. I was merely pointing out that there are those bemoaning the reduction in % Christian, but the same people do not seem to put “Christian” as one of the characteristics they want to claim is part of who they are.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Atheists are often imposing their religious views though.
              More their unreligious beliefs since atheism is a complex denial of the existence of god(s). It can only be a counter belief until all knowledge is gained, until then, it is an unknown. Atheism is not just connected with the Abrahamic strains of religious belief.

I used to count myself as one, but more understanding has led me to hold that nihil humanum mihi alienum.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Based on the below research, we are pretty much in agreement. I deny 18,000 gods exist, and you deny 17,999 exist. Or maybe you're lucky that you believe in the one god that actually exists.

As for me, unlike religious people, I only say I'm atheist if someone brings up religion. I don't impose atheism on anyone, and I'd appreciate that believers didn't try to impose their flavour of religion on me. Again, it really is that simple.

Anthropologists estimate that at least 18,000 different gods, goddesses, and various animals or objects have been worshipped by humans since our species first appeared.
                https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...st%20appeared.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Hmmm, not what I'm saying is it?

In the real world, if someone had lost someone, I would offer my sympathy but I wouldn't suggest that their loved one is in a better place, any more than I would say that they are not. I don't mention religion because it's not relevant to me offering my condolences

All I ask is the same respect. If someone brings up religion in relation to Rach, I tell them we don't believe and it's not relevant to us. If they carry on, I call them out for being disrespectful. How hard is it to understand that?
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Plenty of very intelligent people believe in a God. She laughs at your opinion

Belief is pretty personal.
                    Why assume that god is female? They might be non-binary, or identify as a cauliflower.

I went to catholic school, and was as-good-as dragged along to church by my parents every Sunday morning (well, my mum, my dad was not a believer but knew which battles to pick). This was until the around age of around 11-12, where me any my brother would say we'd go to the church evening service but instead go and play football down the park. We even went pass the church on the way home to pick up the weekly "hell and damnation/give us more money "leaflet to "prove" we'd been. I'm sure we fooled no-one as we handed that over when we got home, with muddied hands and knees...

I am also still amazed at how intelligent and otherwise rational people believe in any one of the many different and contradictory cloud fairies. I'm not amazed that less intelligent people find the need to have something to believe in.

However, paradoxically, I'd describe myself as having "Christian values" whatever they might be. Yes, those values included lying to my parents about going to church, even though I knew they knew I was lying.
                    Last edited by Paralytic; 5 December 2022, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Why assume that god is female? They might be non-binary, or identify as a cauliflower.

I went to catholic school, and was as-good-as dragged along to church by my parents every Sunday morning (well, my mum, my dad was not a believer but knew which battles to pick). This was until the around age of around 11-12, where me any my brother would say we'd go to the church evening service but instead go and play football down the park. We even went pass the church on the way home to pick up the weekly leaflet to "prove" we'd been. I'm sure we fooled no-one as we handed that over when we got home, with muddied hands and knees...

I am also still amazed at how intelligent and otherwise rational people believe in any one of the many different and contradictory cloud fairies. I'm not amazed that less intelligent people find the need to have something to believe in.

However, paradoxically, I'd describe myself as having "Christian values" whatever they might be. Yes, those values included lying to my parents about going to church, even though I knew they knew I was lying.
                      That was rather the point - the assumption that the Abrahamic god was male. I always quite liked Gaia as a god.

Luckily most brought up in the UK follow "Christian Values" otherwise we would have a very different society. See Qatar etc. Our law for instance is heavily influenced by Christianity. Chopping someone's hand off hardly screams forgiveness.

I must admit I have born false witness and my neighbours' ass is fantastic because she is a Zumba instructor. No craven images and sole worship is not one I worry about.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X