• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini Budget aka Fiscal Statement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The growth plan document is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/public...plan-2022-html

It's boring but just search for "off-payroll"
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      So the 2017 and 2021 amendments was basically back to contractors making the assessment if they are inside or not? From HMRC's point of view this might be a clever move as it means more investigations for them to conduct as rather than clients wrongly declaring all contractors inside, more contractors will wrongly declare themselves outside!
      Also it's much easier to go against a single bloke, than a huge corpo with a whole team of lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by mallisarealperson View Post
        No one will win the next election.
        We'll see. This is a pretty big experiment, and the Tories will have been in power for 14 years by 2024. I wouldn't bank on a hung Parliament after this (and the cost of living) plays out. Regardless, it is stated Labour policy to make taxes more similar ("fairer") across different forms of income.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

Also it's much easier to go against a single bloke, than a huge corpo with a whole team of lawyers.
          It's actually the reverse of that. It's far easier for HMRC to go after clients. As soon as compliance/legal becomes involved, they will likely fold, not least because HMRC recommends that the contractor should be pursued for any shortfall, and the contract most likely allows it.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post

yep my point above. Look forward to more years of people being prosecuted in their front rooms.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

So I doubt this will mean much (to me) in terms or in/out but could it mean I no longer need an umbrella co?

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

I wasn't actually listening, but any word at all on unfreezing tax bands? This is a far more pernicious and costly thing than the odd pence off the base rate, and at current rates of inlfation is going to end up costing thousands to the squeezed middle! Scrapping higher rate to benefit of just over half a million payers rather bold - can't see that being popular.
                Agree. No, nothing.

Comment

So I doubt this will mean much (to me) in terms or in/out but could it mean I no longer need an umbrella co?
                  Probably but the devil is in the detail.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

If you're inside, it doesn't (and won't) make much sense to use a company, rather an umbrella, unless you plan to do a mix of inside and outside work. As speculation elsewhere indicates, this is going to be a target rich environment for HMRC when contractors move from inside to outside on the same contract, or even a different contract where an SDS previously proclaimed it inside. It will be interesting to see how business reacts to this, it may not be the straightforward "repeal" envisaged.

Comment

Originally posted by cmscotland View Post
                      Be interesting to see if it actually changes the blanket bans from larger clients - a lot of them might decide just to leave it as it.
                      But really what a mess - 5 years of buggering about just to cancel it
                      I suspect many of the clients that found their roles were definitely inside - will suddenly find they were definitely outside again, but only from the next tax year of course
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X