• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The separate thread about how awful Queen Elizabeth was and the Royal Family is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Indeed. It was watched by 4 billion people around the world. Any argument that the Monarchy isn't needed or wanted kinda goes out the window on that point alone. Surely anyone who is anti monarchy has must be wondering if they are actually wrong at this point wouldn't they?
    Yep, haul them off to the tower for "re-education".
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Indeed. It was watched by 4 billion people around the world. Any argument that the Monarchy isn't needed or wanted kinda goes out the window on that point alone.
      Donald Trump had one of the biggest followings on social media. That doesn't mean he was wanted or needed.

*Please note, I am not comparing HRH to Trump, just the idea that viewing figures relates to how needed something is.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Indeed. It was watched by 4 billion people around the world. Any argument that the Monarchy isn't needed or wanted kinda goes out the window on that point alone. Surely anyone who is anti monarchy has must be wondering if they are actually wrong at this point wouldn't they?
        I neither want nor need the monarchy but I still rode my bike to see the funeral procession since it was going close to my house. It was a nice ride and I wanted to see the hubub. I never wondered at any point if I was wrong about the monarchy.

What I was wrong about was the idea that the British know how to queue. I've never seen so many people trying to jump in front of you or jump out into the road to block everyone else's view.

Comment

I imagine there is a huge middle ground between staunchly pro and staunchly anti, with a lot of people pretty indifferent/ambivalent/apathetic.

I'm not a fan of the monarchy, and I don't like the royal family much, but I ain't that fussed about getting rid of them. And I know there is little public support for this anyway.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I'm another of those 'meh' when it comes to the actual royals in the royal family. Didn't watch any of the last week's who-har (watching a funeral when Rachel's is still so raw was not high on my list of activities).

On balance I prefer that we have a monachy than not because of the income it brings in. They are net positive.

But I also think they are no more than slaves ... well paid, well treated I grant you .... but slaves none-the-less. The top royals have very little freedom to do what they like unless like Harry they quit being a royal. Personally, even with all that perceived wealth, I'd never want to be a top royal. I like to do able to go to Asda in my onesie and slippers, and drink cider on the park bench, without fear that someone is going to pap me.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

On balance I prefer that we have a monachy than not because of the income it brings in. They are net positive.
              This has been debunked so many times. Versailles gets more visitors than the royal attractions in the UK.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

This has been debunked so many times. Versailles gets more visitors than the royal attractions in the UK.
                Nonsense. Ever heard of invisible earnings? The Monarchy generate around £1.9bn a year, one way or another.

Or are you yet another who can't distinguish between the institution and its members?
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Nonsense. Ever heard of invisible earnings? The Monarchy generate around £1.9bn a year, one way or another.

Or are you yet another who can't distinguish between the institution and its members?
                  Source?
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

There is the tangible and intangible though. I've seen some figures somewhere around direct income from visiting attractions and the like but they didn't take in to account the income to other businesses and then there is the intangibles around reputation and other spends by visitors coming to London in general.

So as a direct business then I can see the number might not add up but overall net gain to the UK still far exceeds the cost.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There is the tangible and intangible though. I've seen some figures somewhere around direct income from visiting attractions and the like but they didn't take in to account the income to other businesses and then there is the intangibles around reputation and other spends by visitors coming to London in general.

So as a direct business then I can see the number might not add up but overall net gain to the UK still far exceeds the cost.
                      We have just had almost every world leader at the funeral and we will have similar at the coronation. The deals that were done over her Majesties' silverware are difficult to quantify.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X