• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Something going on in Parliament - RIP QE2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Shipping your kids off to boarding school is not warm mothering.
    Plenty of forces brats get sent to boarding school, in a lot of instances it's a practicality. It can instill character and independence.

Nice generalisation though, jolly well done!
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Just watched a little bit of the lying in state on BBC iPlayer - enough to see the flow of people and the changing of the guard that happens every 20 minutes. I can see how people would find it moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Why, is that illegal?
        It is immoral if you champion causes that are paid for by the public purse.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

It is immoral if you champion causes that are paid for by the public purse.
          So not paying more tax than you are legally obliged to is "immoral"?

Are you immoral or do you volunteer to pay more tax than you are legally required to?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

So not paying more tax than you are legally obliged to is "immoral"?

Are you immoral or do you volunteer to pay more tax than you are legally required to?
            Is setting up an off-shore company to reduce your contributions to the UK immoral?
            What if it's only the very wealthy that do it, is it OK, particularly if no one else has the funds to do it?

If a family receive £100million in benefits from UK taxpayers, but then set up their own businesses off-shore so they don't pay tax, could anyone sense that wasn't necessarily a moral way of doing things?
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Is setting up an off-shore company to reduce your contributions to the UK immoral?
              What if it's only the very wealthy that do it, is it OK, particularly if no one else has the funds to do it?

If a family receive £100million in benefits from UK taxpayers, but then set up their own businesses off-shore so they don't pay tax, could anyone sense that wasn't necessarily a moral way of doing things?
              These offshore loopholes have been largely closed in the EU hence why the rush to get Brexit done.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

What family would that be? The same family that paid £340million in tax?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Just watched a little bit of the lying in state on BBC iPlayer - enough to see the flow of people and the changing of the guard that happens every 20 minutes. I can see how people would find it moving.
                  I would imagine if you were insomniac or similar this could be a very soothing thing to have on the small hours, quite compelling. I'd also want to keep watching for any oddballs (there must be some) or people who refuse to move on and want to recite a 30 page speech. I'm sure somebody is compiling 'highlights' and we'll see it in a Monday List in future.
                  I'd not give him a break for his off-shoring of businesses to avoid tax
                  What about brief-cases of dirty cash?

IMO it's ludicrous the royal family pay tax anyway, don't they do so as a voluntary gesture or have I got that wrong?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

IMO it's ludicrous the royal family pay tax anyway, don't they do so as a voluntary gesture or have I got that wrong?
                    They don't personally profit from what they do in Royal duties and I think paying tax is a gesture to be in keeping with the common folk which is understandable. More symbolic than reflecting real income and all that. That said they do have personal income from estates and many other things. I believe Prince Charles paid nearly £6M on his private income alone though so difficult to argue they don't pay in. Does that get paid for by the public purse in some way shape or form? Possibly but bearing in mind the numbers below it's nothing more than phyric victory to argue it

Hard to nail down the finances of royalty but there are some figures banding around that they contributed 1.9 billion to the British Economy in mainly tangible ways and that figure must be far bigger when considering other intangible activities that lead to money generation further down the tree. Doesn't matter how accurate the numbers it is nowhere near the £86M they cost so it's a pointless argument. There has also been a hell of a lot of work over the last period to reduce this with no Royal Yacht, Trains and reduction in paid monarchy so they are listening and making a lot of moves.

I think it's a waste of time talking about how much they pay in taxes, take from the purse etc when looking at a 1.9 Billion income vs 86 Million cost. Anyone suggesting the Monarchy is a drain on the Uk finances need their heads examining.

You can be for or against the monarchy but you cannot argue fact they are good for the UK economy as a whole.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 September 2022, 12:07.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Their private business enterprises - or whatever you want to call them - e.g. Duchy of Cornwall and Duchy of Lancaster, they have been known to use off-shore investment schemes.
                      The royals do voluntarily pay tax on some earnings, but not on others.

Oh, and the Duchess of Sussex has US companies registered in the US, so that should get a few hot under the collar.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X