• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain has never be so humiliated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Stolen? Borrowed?
    Helping them to become civilised. (Obv. failed in Australia and the US, but you can't win 'em all).

Originally posted by David71 View Post

Ummmmm. I think most of the 'old' British Empire might disagree with that statementand and as a Welshman I'm still a bit miffed about Edward I thieving the homeland a few years (750ish) back.
    Oh come on. Wales has taken loads of land from the English. That's why it's so hilly.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

We must have done a terrible job - why else would French-colonised African countries choose to join the English-speaking Commonwealth?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-commonwealth-

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        We must have done a terrible job - why else would French-colonised African countries choose to join the English-speaking Commonwealth?

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...-commonwealth-
        how very dare you..

The UK is responsible for all ills in the world and their abuse of Africa caused slavery (except that slavery between 800bc and 1573 when we purchased Africans from their brothers.

Despite decades of independence its always the UK's fault.

get with the program.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

how very dare you..

The UK is responsible for all ills in the world and their abuse of Africa caused slavery (except that slavery between 800bc and 1573 when we purchased Africans from their brothers.

Despite decades of independence its always the UK's fault.

get with the program.
          No, the UK is never responsible for anything, someone else did it, or did it worse. Have your meds worn off?
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

No, the UK is never responsible for anything, someone else did it, or did it worse. Have your meds worn off?
            they drugs may have, imagine slave trading (selling your African brother into slavery) started in 800 bce , we got there in the late 1500s and forcibly stopped the slave trade in the 1800s.

Imagine being responsible for all the world ills despite only being born a few decades ago and having no ancestors involved for centuries - oh the guilt.... Its like I fecked your mother before birth.. she likes anal!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

they drugs may have, imagine slave trading (selling your African brother into slavery) started in 800 bce , we got there in the late 1500s and forcibly stopped the slave trade in the 1800s.

Imagine being responsible for all the world ills despite only being born a few decades ago and having no ancestors involved for centuries - oh the guilt.... Its like I fecked your mother before birth.. she likes anal!
              Someone has been triggered today. Was the Wail headline today not xenophobic enough for you? Truss's cabinet the wrong type of Brit for you wailers?

You keep talking about 'African brothers' like Africa is a single, small nation and they all knew each other. You do realise just because the skin colour is the same, that they are not all from the same family, don't you? Your logic is like saying, we fought our brothers the germans and the french et al ... just because we are all white (ish) europeans doesn't mean we are all the same country and they are our brothers (although the kings and queens often were related but that's a different story).

Stop trying to make out that just because we were a leading light in stopping the slave trade that we were not complicit in in for centuries. We, and our European brothers (see what I did there), invaded and enslaved one way or another most of the world. We may not have always sold those slaves and transported them, but never the less a lot of the world under our flag was in servitude to the British.

I'm not saying you, or any of us on here should feel guilty with the actions of our ancestors, but to deny it as you are is naive at best ....
              Last edited by Whorty; 7 September 2022, 07:55.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Am I missing something?
                Our Empire was the first bloodless (until the Politian's got involved) one. Where did we 'invade' and was this an armed invasion like all of the previous Empires?
                Wonder if the sub-continent say 'What did the British ever do for us?'

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Someone has been triggered today. Was the Wail headline today not xenophobic enough for you? Truss's cabinet the wrong type of Brit for you wailers?

You keep talking about 'African brothers' like Africa is a single, small nation and they all knew each other. You do realise just because the skin colour is the same, that they are not all from the same family, don't you? Your logic is like saying, we fought our brothers the germans and the french et al ... just because we are all white (ish) europeans doesn't mean we are all the same country and they are our brothers (although the kings and queens often were related but that's a different story).

Stop trying to make out that just because we were a leading light in stopping the slave trade that we were not complicit in in for centuries. We, and our European brothers (see what I did there), invaded and enslaved one way or another most of the world. We may not have always sold those slaves and transported them, but never the less a lot of the world under our flag was in servitude to the British.

I'm not saying you, or any of us on here should feel guilty with the actions of our ancestors, but to deny it as you are is naive at best ....
                  damn you are ignorant.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...9dd_story.html

The memory of slavery emerges here in large and small ways. In the 2016 presidential election, one candidate, Lionel Zinsou, angrily pointed out in a televised debate that his opponent, Patrice Talon, who is now president of Benin, was the descendant of slave merchants. In villages where people were abducted for the slave trade, families still ask reflexively when they hear a knock on the door whether the visitor is "a human being" or a slave raider.
                  I'm not denying that the UK took part in a perfectly legal (if immoral and disgusting + millennia old) trade buying slaves from African vendors. Using records 90% of the slaves sent to the US were sold by African merchants not captured by the evil white man. I would suggest that as the trade was started without us, managed by Africans for Millenia and many more slaves sold to Arabs than other foreigners accusing the Europeans /Americans of being the main cause of misery means they are the ones in denial. Strange they aren't asking the Arab states for reparations (imagine the response, what is Arabic for F off?) - for this is what it is all about.

Lets stop modern slavery rather than constantly rehash the past.

Wilberforce and co realised that slavery was immoral and against Gods teaching (well in places in the new testament, it was ok in the old and God would have stopped it in some mysterious way if it offended him) so they campaigned to stop it. Parliament agreed and forced other nations (by funding its abolition and by force) to stop it many of the hold outs were African kings selling their people. The Arabs weren't too keen either resulting in a number of confrontations.

Unlike some African countries, Benin has publicly acknowledged — in broad terms — its role in the slave trade. In 1992, the country held an international conference sponsored by UNESCO, the U.N. cultural agency, that looked at where and how slaves were sold. In 1999, President Mathieu Kérékou visited a Baltimore church and fell to his knees during an apology to African Americans for Africa's role in the slave trade.

But what Benin failed to address was its painful internal divisions. Kérékou's apology to Americans meant little to citizens who still saw monuments to de Souza across this city. Even Ouidah's tour guides had grown frustrated.
                  Maybe statues of De Souza and the slave dealing kings should be pulled down? For some read no other countries.

I could be informal and use 'Brother' in the way many Africans use it, the way the christian church uses it or even the way Spielberg used it they would all be correct - you decide which definition to use.

brother
                  /ˈbrʌðə/
                  Learn to pronounce
                  noun
                  plural noun: brothers
                  1. 1.
                    a man or boy in relation to other sons and daughters of his parents.
                    "he recognized her from her strong resemblance to her brother"
                    Similar:
                    male sibling
                    bro
                    bruvver
                    bruv
                    • a male associate or fellow member of an organization.
                      "the time is coming, brothers, for us to act"
                      Similar:
                      colleague
                      associate
                      companion
                      partner
                      comrade
                      comrade-in-arms
                      co-worker
                      fellow
                      friend
                      confrère
                      pal
                      chum
                      mate
                      bruvver
                      bruv
                      bro
                      compeer
                    • INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
                      a black man (often used as a term of address by other black people).
                      noun: brotha; noun: brutha
                      "there I was with one white boy and this other brother"
                    • a thing which resembles or is connected to another thing.
                      "the machine is almost identical to its larger brother"
                  2. 2.
                    CHRISTIAN CHURCH
                    a (male) fellow Christian.
                    • a member of a religious order of men.
                      "a Benedictine brother"
                      Similar:
                      monk
                      cleric
                      friar
                      religious
                      regular
                      monastic
                      contemplative
                    • a member of a fundamentalist Protestant denomination.
                      "the Plymouth Brethren"
                  But if you insist your narrow definition of a relative is the only suitable meaning you would be wrong again.

Slavery was endemic in Africa for Millenia at first it was a way of disposing of captured enemies (possibly from another nation but possibly just from another tribe like Sunni & Shiite Muslims) though when the demand got greater probably when the Arabs wanted more slaves in the 7th century it seems selling your mother or brother was quite common.

Strangely even the good book has examples maybe that was an inspiration?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...36&version=NLT

"Our anger at the families who sold our ancestors will never go away until the end of the world," said Placide Ogoutade, a businessman in the town of Ketou, where thousands of people were seized and sold in the 18th and 19th centuries.

When his children were young, Ogoutade told them they were barred from marrying anyone who was a descendant of the country's slave merchants.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
                    Am I missing something?
                    Our Empire was the first bloodless (until the Politian's got involved) one. Where did we 'invade' and was this an armed invasion like all of the previous Empires?
                    Wonder if the sub-continent say 'What did the British ever do for us?'
                    Not entirely true the British and Dutch east India companies plus the French had armies because each lot had signed with a particular set of Moguls who traditionally fought each other (it was of course our fault they had been fighting for centuries before we got there - they call it divide & rule not peace keeping when its imperialism) and part of the pact was to help them in battles. Purely to enhance commerce you understand.

Comment

Enjoy Putin's comments that Liz's appointment as PM is "far from democratic". Up their with Trump for total disregard for irony.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X