• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In Liz We..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely the headline should be "All Trussed Up"?
    The National Truss - Support for everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      After the worst PM ever, we now have the worst PM ever. To be succeeded in a couple of years (maybe) by the worst PM ever.
      I doff my cap to anyone who has what it takes to manage the bag of ferrets that make up democratic governments these days. Boris is/was a great leader who got smothered by the Pandemic and Russian special operation but still coped and Liz will take things forward and succeed even in the teeth of the carping from our legions of armchair generals.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

I doff my cap to anyone who has what it takes to manage the bag of ferrets that make up democratic governments these days. Boris is/was a great leader who got smothered by the Pandemic and Russian special operation but still coped and Liz will take things forward and succeed even in the teeth of the carping from our legions of armchair generals.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Right. However, I don't think anyone (currently, in the UK context) is talking about a price cap without a funding source. It will be funded either by: 1) the taxpayer; or 2) the billpayer (over a protracted period) with the immediate source probably coming from gov't backed loans. They cannot simply freeze the wholesale price of gas (the "nuclear option") without funding it. But one upside of freezing the wholesale price of gas is that there would be no need for a broader windfall tax on electricity generators. Ultimately, though, someone needs to pay for it (taxpayer, billpayer or generators or some combination of these) and, separately, we need to reduce demand.
          A windfall tax is a third "funding source" and by far the most sensible one IMO. The money we are spending on energy bills isn't disappearing into the void - it is going into the pockets of the energy companies. A simple 100% tax on energy profits until the end of the war in Ukraine will sort it out - what we are seeing now is on a par with war profiteering. Also a change in the contracts for existing green energy companies to remove the link between electricity price and gas prices. It is absurd that providers of solar and wind power are enjoying a 500% increase in rates whilst people are starting to starve. Lots of options, if govt are willing to explore them.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

It's a poison chalice job nowadays. You get in and just pray to god there isn't going to be some international or global incident. A war, pandemic whatever. No PM has ever managed a extraordinary event like this and come out smelling of roses. It's not like gov is trained in things like this so they'll thrash about, do the best they can which won't please a good vocal majority whatever they do and down they fall. Hard to say who is a good/bad PM because they are having to deal with unprecedented times where there is no right answer. Why someone actually wants to do that job is beyond me.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

It's a poison chalice job nowadays. You get in and just pray to god there isn't going to be some international or global incident. A war, pandemic whatever. No PM has ever managed a extraordinary event like this and come out smelling of roses. It's not like gov is trained in things like this so they'll thrash about, do the best they can which won't please a good vocal majority whatever they do and down they fall. Hard to say who is a good/bad PM because they are having to deal with unprecedented times where there is no right answer. Why someone actually wants to do that job is beyond me.
              POWER!!
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Indeed, have none of you watched GoT.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

And if you do manage those situations successfully, a bunch of over-entitled nonentities will get you sacked for being in close proximity to a cake...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                  X