• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All nuclear reactors to restart by this winter

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All nuclear reactors to restart by this winter

Not in the UK because the Tories but an end to Gordon Brown's 2008 go-ahead for eight new reactors. But meanwhile in France...

France’s minister for energy transition said Friday that French electricity giant EDF has committed to restart all its nuclear reactors by this winter to help the country through the broad energy crisis aggravated by the war in Ukraine.
    https://www.france24.com/en/france/2...-energy-crunch

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Not in the UK because the Tories but an end to Gordon Brown's 2008 go-ahead for eight new reactors. But meanwhile in France...

https://www.france24.com/en/france/2...-energy-crunch
    Your point is? It rather helps that France has idle reactors that can be restarted...

Germany, for example, shut theirs down irrevocably, since they had plentiful supplies of gas from, erm, somewhere on the East.

And Brown, in his usual detailed grasp of reality, promised to build new ones without there being any money to build them with.

That said, our whole energy supply capability is a sick joke.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Well, I can afford candles and camping gas canisters, even if the country as a whole can’t afford nuclear reactors or gas storage.

So I’m ok.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Your point is? It rather helps that France has idle reactors that can be restarted...

Germany, for example, shut theirs down irrevocably, since they had plentiful supplies of gas from, erm, somewhere on the East.

And Brown, in his usual detailed grasp of reality, promised to build new ones without there being any money to build them with.

That said, our whole energy supply capability is a sick joke.
        The point is that the Tories have been in power 12 years and they waited until last week to agree with Brown and go ahead with new reactors. Meanwhile, the UK is increasing it's electricity supply from France.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Well, I can afford candles and camping gas canisters, even if the country as a whole can’t afford nuclear reactors or gas storage.

So I’m ok.
          Me too. There's stocks of those in the cupboard, along with a two camping gas lights.

Now contemplating the purchase of an pure sinewwave dual fuel inverter generator and an 18kg propane cylinder.

That's in addition to the 2 stroke petrol generator and the 4 stroke petrol generator in the garage.

We won't speak of the cans of beans & shotgun cartridges. .
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

So I’m ok.
            Me too. There's stocks of those in the cupboard, along with a two camping gas lights.

Now contemplating the purchase of an pure sinewwave dual fuel inverter generator and an 18kg propane cylinder.

That's in addition to the 2 stroke petrol generator and the 4 stroke petrol generator in the garage.

Oh look, yet another bug in this bugfest of a board.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Ironically, I had been buying up odd items over the past years with a view of making one of the farm buildings pure off-grid. I have gas lamps and gas cookers, kerosene stove, oil lamps and a generator. I never thought they may be useful in the UK.

Comment

How many pence per kwh before a generator becomes a viable alternative? Obviously this would be a ratio between the cost of petrol/diesel and electricity but curious how efficient these things are, especially if you can run them on old chip oil.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                  How many pence per kwh before a generator becomes a viable alternative? Obviously this would be a ratio between the cost of petrol/diesel and electricity but curious how efficient these things are, especially if you can run them on old chip oil.
                  A generator can be a viable alternative if you have a steady demand.
                  For most home owners that is not the case, you'll want to boil the kettle, or cook something, which will cause a big increase in your demand. During the day the requirements will be enough to run a computer or two. In the evening, add in the lights. Don't forget your fridge/freezer/iron/central heating/hot water.

But yes, if you set up a separate circuit for the steady demand stuff, you could run that efficiently on a suitable generator.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Any reference to generators reminds me of a well known national newspapers' BCP and DR plan.

They had two identical servers in an emergency server room all running on a generator in case of main grid power outtage, a robust and very practical well thought out BCP, until ... when I was testing.... and not fully understanding why the servers had gone down too and the lights had gone out in the BCP bunker.

I discovered the generators were plugged into the mains! So 15 minutes after 'stimulating' a full power loss the back up servers and server room also faded into the darkness.

Comment

Working...
                    X