• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom: Energy Price Cap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Due to the energy price cap being raised it looks like EVs will be more expensive to run than petrol vehicles.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/co...ve-run-petrol/
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Due to the energy price cap being raised it looks like EVs will be more expensive to run than petrol vehicles.

They'll need to sell them with an optional diesel generator

I think Honda have got it right with their latest e:HEV tech which includes a petrol generator with your electric car. I've just ordered one as it makes the most sense financially especially as the finance deal includes £1K contribution and 5 years servicing and European roadside assistance. At 60mpg, benefits of electric drive and the latest tech what's not to like

Comment

• EDF France Electricity tariff:
        • The forecasts for the increase in the price of electricity in February 2022 announce +44% . To help consumers face this price increase, the government has implemented a price shield by lowering taxes and thus capping the increase at +4% .
        • The price of one kWh of electricity in France for individuals is €0.1740 including tax at EDF's regulated tariffs for the most common meter powers (6 kVA) in the base option . For half of the households that benefit from the Off- Peak Hours option , the price drops to €0.1470 including tax per kWh during the 8 off-peak hours, but rises to €0.1841 including tax the rest of the time .
        • Alternative suppliers such as TotalEnergies (formerly Total Direct Energie), Engie, Happ-e or Vattenfall frequently offer discounts of around 10% on the price of kWh excluding VAT compared to EDF's regulated tariffs.
        • Added to this is the fixed part of the bill, the subscription , which most often costs between €100 and €150 per year depending on the power of the meter and the tariff option (base or off-peak hours).
        • According to Eurostat, including consumption and subscription prices, the average price per kWh of electricity was €0.1893 including tax in France in 2020.
        • The lowest price of electricity today is paid by consumers who participate in a group purchase of energy . After gathering a large number of participants, through strength in numbers, the organizers negotiate prices that beat the best public offers.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Perhaps we should set a cap equivalent to the one set by the French government on prices charged by French owned energy companies in the UK to ensure it isn't us who are funding the unrealistic French prices

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

They'll need to sell them with an optional diesel generator

I think Honda have got it right with their latest e:HEV tech which includes a petrol generator with your electric car. I've just ordered one as it makes the most sense financially especially as the finance deal includes £1K contribution and 5 years servicing and European roadside assistance. At 60mpg, benefits of electric drive and the latest tech what's not to like
            You mean apart from the fact that it's a Honda?

I'll stick to my Diesel XJ - 50+mpg and a 600+ mile range.
            Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

EV drivers can (or at least could) get special tariffs so they can charge overnight between certain hours at a much lower rate. They obviously have to have a smart meter.

I've seen figures and even with the price increase it works out cheaper than a petrol or diesel if you don't do long distances.

Also some supermarkets e.g. Lidl allow you to charge cheaply or free e.g. Tescos. Though I have no idea what the cost of the charging points in the streets around me cost.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                • EDF France Electricity tariff:
                • The forecasts for the increase in the price of electricity in February 2022 announce +44% . To help consumers face this price increase, the government has implemented a price shield by lowering taxes and thus capping the increase at +4% .
                • The price of one kWh of electricity in France for individuals is €0.1740 including tax at EDF's regulated tariffs for the most common meter powers (6 kVA) in the base option . For half of the households that benefit from the Off- Peak Hours option , the price drops to €0.1470 including tax per kWh during the 8 off-peak hours, but rises to €0.1841 including tax the rest of the time .
                • Alternative suppliers such as TotalEnergies (formerly Total Direct Energie), Engie, Happ-e or Vattenfall frequently offer discounts of around 10% on the price of kWh excluding VAT compared to EDF's regulated tariffs.
                • Added to this is the fixed part of the bill, the subscription , which most often costs between €100 and €150 per year depending on the power of the meter and the tariff option (base or off-peak hours).
                • According to Eurostat, including consumption and subscription prices, the average price per kWh of electricity was €0.1893 including tax in France in 2020.
                • The lowest price of electricity today is paid by consumers who participate in a group purchase of energy . After gathering a large number of participants, through strength in numbers, the organizers negotiate prices that beat the best public offers.
                You do realise EDF has almost gone under due to price caps and are now suing the government to give them more money to survive this? this is actually pretty funny as EDF is government own, so the gov is suing the gov...

Markets dictate energy prices and currently it's sky high as there's simply not enough resources around. Capping prices works nicely for consumers, but in the long run kills companies that have to buy the energy at market prices and are unable to charge consumers the right amount.

Comment

EV owners can afford it though. Surprised if most care about the cost.

Comment

Scottish Power are telling me that my monthly gas+electric direct debit will go up to £1700/month if I choose their current 'cheapest' fixed tariff.

I used to pay £220/month during Covid times and I have since insulated my home after some extensive works, including loft and even underfloor (100mm insulation).

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      Scottish Power are telling me that my monthly gas+electric direct debit will go up to £1700/month if I choose their current 'cheapest' fixed tariff.

I used to pay £220/month during Covid times and I have since insulated my home after some extensive works, including loft and even underfloor (100mm insulation).
                      Expect them to over estimate your monthly DD for the next two years.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X