• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom: Energy Price Cap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dsc View Post
    Europe will be fecked for a long time
    How the Germans laughed at Trump during this UN speech when he warned them about being totally dependant on Russian gas. They not laughing now, and neither are we.

Short clip less than 30 seconds, Germans laughing at 20 seconds in.

Comment

If you think MPs are bothered, think again: https://fullfact.org/online/MPs-no-u...ting-expenses/
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If we don't do net zero and green policies then the cost will continual go up and up.
        On the contrary, it has been our focus on net zero that has led to a lack of investment in new fossil fuels, leading to a lack of supply of oil and gas, with the inevitable high prices that result. Net zero as a policy is flawed if it cannot keep the lights on.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

On the contrary, it has been our focus on net zero that has led to a lack of investment in new fossil fuels, leading to a lack of supply of oil and gas, with the inevitable high prices that result. Net zero as a policy is flawed if it cannot keep the lights on.
          We don't rely on Russia for gas and when we did use Russian gas it was about 6%. However gas prices are driven by the world market and as the rest of Europe, who relied on Russian gas need alternative sources they pay more.

Certain governments - Bliar and Cameron- refused to allow nuclear power stations to be built. A certain government decided they don't like onshore wind farms or other electricity generation when people living in the effected areas are fine with them. I live near such an area and people weren't against it but the plans were dropped.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I've just paid 83p per litre for heating oil and a diesel generator at an efficiency of 30% gives ~3KWh / Litre giving an electric unit cost of ~28p / generated KWh. So if from October the lowest price is going to be 50p/KWh from the grid given the price cap should people be investing in diesel generators and running them off kerosene? Even more important why aren't energy suppliers investing in cost effective supply rather than paying inflated gas prices after all they could invest in some diesel generators and supply electricity cheaper Nuclear, wind, tidal, solar, hydro aren't suffering from ruinous input prices so why is the output price in any way related to the price of gas? We're being creamed here Get fracking

... and I've just had my oil boiler serviced and the technician reckons it's >90% efficient so I bet we could get the efficiency of diesel generators higher

Last edited by tazdevil; 27 August 2022, 10:38.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
              I've just paid 83p per litre for heating oil and a diesel generator at an efficiency of 30% gives ~3KWh / Litre giving an electric unit cost of ~28p / generated KWh. So if from April the lowest price is going to be 50p/KWh from the grid given the price cap should people be investing in diesel generators and running them off kerosene?
              Genius idea, provided you use the generated electricity at optimum performance. That’s why you need to be able to store electricity at home, not just generate it.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Genius idea, provided you use the generated electricity at optimum performance. That’s why you need to be able to store electricity at home, not just generate it.
                On a roll here As people abandon their overpriced and too costly to run EV's we could recycle the batteries for home electricity storage to absorb the generated surplus. Just hang them on the garage wall

Comment

...I bet we could get the efficiency of diesel generators higher
                  Simple, just put the generator inside your house so the waste heat heats your home.

On a slightly more serious note, I think heating oil (28-second) can damage diesel engines.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I've just paid 83p per litre for heating oil and a diesel generator at an efficiency of 30% gives ~3KWh / Litre giving an electric unit cost of ~28p / generated KWh. So if from October the lowest price is going to be 50p/KWh from the grid given the price cap should people be investing in diesel generators and running them off kerosene? Even more important why aren't energy suppliers investing in cost effective supply rather than paying inflated gas prices after all they could invest in some diesel generators and supply electricity cheaper Nuclear, wind, tidal, solar, hydro aren't suffering from ruinous input prices so why is the output price in any way related to the price of gas? We're being creamed here Get fracking

... and I've just had my oil boiler serviced and the technician reckons it's >90% efficient so I bet we could get the efficiency of diesel generators higher
                    Doesn't Russia supply something like 30% of the UK's diesel? I'm finding it quite funny that people with diesel cars are now paying a lot more than me with 102 octane petrol....
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Doesn't Russia supply something like 30% of the UK's diesel? I'm finding it quite funny that people with diesel cars are now paying a lot more than me with 102 octane petrol....
                      Yes but the diesel car gets much better mpg

Comment

Working...
                      X