• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surrey speeds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Ah, it’s a DANGEROUS descent according to the Strava website. Why’s that?
    Average of 33 means that some times they are doing less, and sometimes more. It’s not a “may hit higher speeds”, you can’t have an average without slower and faster.

But great disinformation because you have no sense of respect or responsibility for the roads, the conditions and other road users.
    Whorty still refusing to comment on this. Almost like he can’t think of an insult to explain why Strava considers this public road too dangerous to allow races, oops, sorry, sportif speed times, oops sorry, inconsiderate, unsafe, selfish riders.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Whorty still refusing to comment on this. Almost like he can’t think of an insult to explain why Strava considers this public road too dangerous to allow races, oops, sorry, sportif speed times, oops sorry, inconsiderate, unsafe, selfish riders.
      How am I refusing to answer? Why don't you use Google and look for yourself? It's not hard or do you need to be spoon fed? Segments are flagged by cyclists themselves, as we're good like that, to warn other cyclists that a segment may be dangerous and to take care.

And I'm not insulting anyone .... you're the one acting bigoted against all cyclists. It's this perpetuating attitude towards other road users that causes road rage and accidents. Maybe take a chill pill and respect that there are people different to you and that doesn't make them wrong.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

How am I refusing to answer? Why don't you use Google and look for yourself? It's not hard or do you need to be spoon fed? Segments are flagged by cyclists themselves, as we're good like that, to warn other cyclists that a segment may be dangerous and to take care.

And I'm not insulting anyone .... you're the one acting bigoted against all cyclists. It's this perpetuating attitude towards other road users that causes road rage and accidents. Maybe take a chill pill and respect that there are people different to you and that doesn't make them wrong.
        Please go back and read what I said at the start - that cyclists do 40+ down some of those lanes and it is dangerous, they could fall off and injure themselves. I did not say all cyclists would fall off.
        Your first argument was that it was absolutely impossible for a cyclist to do 40+ unless it was an extremely steep hill.
        You then redefined extremely steep from your claim of 5% down to 3% to fit your argument
        You also said that Strava would tell you all the data.
        Strava told you it was too dangerous.
        Strava also said that a top average speed was 33mph. You still claimed that 33mph average meant that they never went over 40.

At no time have I said on this thread that all cyclists are selfish, irresponsible, disrespectful and inconsiderate.
        ...but the ones that believe they can do whatever they like - ride more than half way across a road, pass on blind crests, provide no indication of their planned change of direction, etc, you're right, I don't like them. In the same way I don't like dangerous drivers who do the same.

Comment

Please go back and read what I said at the start - that cyclists do 40+ down some of those lanes and it is dangerous, they could fall off and injure themselves. I did not say all cyclists would fall off.
          Your first argument was that it was absolutely impossible for a cyclist to do 40+ unless it was an extremely steep hill.
          You then redefined extremely steep from your claim of 5% down to 3% to fit your argument
          You also said that Strava would tell you all the data.
          Strava told you it was too dangerous.
          Strava also said that a top average speed was 33mph. You still claimed that 33mph average meant that they never went over 40.

At no time have I said on this thread that all cyclists are selfish, irresponsible, disrespectful and inconsiderate.
          ...but the ones that believe they can do whatever they like - ride more than half way across a road, pass on blind crests, provide no indication of their planned change of direction, etc, you're right, I don't like them. In the same way I don't like dangerous drivers who do the same.
          I said this ...
          Unless it's a steep downhill (4-5% +), it's fairly straight and on decent tarmac I'd find it hard to believe cyclists are doing 40mph. And even then only a few fast guys would be hitting those speeds.
          Looking at that video then yes, the road is steep, the tarmac looks good and the road is straight. So I was right. Plus, Strava has the fastest guy averaging (yes, I know what that means thanks) 33mph for the whole segment, so yes he and other fast descenders will likely hit 40mph but only for very short segments. I never said they didn't go above 40mph.

It's true you didn't say ALL cyclists are selfish, disrespectful et al, but you did say 90% were which is pretty much the same thing. Despite your video evidence only showing 2 cyclists out of 20+ going faster than others (but no actual indication of how fast they were going).

And on that video, every time a car is coming the other way the 2 cyclists are well over to the left and out of danger. Maybe you need to get on a bike and you'd understand that as a cyclist we're taller than most car drivers, so can see further ahead so what looks to you as a blind crest, we can see over the crest and up the road.

As a non cyclist you're never going to win this argument fella as you have zero experience. It's like me telling a chef how to cook ... it comes across as arrogant.

But please crack on if it makes you happy.

Comment

I said this ...
            Looking at that video then yes, the road is steep, the tarmac looks good and the road is straight. So I was right.
            It's not straight. If you think that's straight, you need your head examined.

As a non cyclist you're never going to win this argument fella as you have zero experience. It's like me telling a chef how to cook ... it comes across as arrogant.
            You're right, I have zero experience, having never ridden a bike in my life, not gone on weekly 50 mile rides on my Trek 1500 with Shimano Ultegra 52/36 on the crank and Ultegra 9 speed cassette on the wheel, etc, in the UK while also having a mountain bike in Strasbourg (where I was working), that I did 40km+ per night after work.

Assuming I don't know that road and I've never been a cyclist is very wrong on both parts.

Comment

It's not straight. If you think that's straight, you need your head examined.

You're right, I have zero experience, having never ridden a bike in my life, not gone on weekly 50 mile rides on my Trek 1500 with Shimano Ultegra 52/36 on the crank and Ultegra 9 speed cassette on the wheel, etc, in the UK while also having a mountain bike in Strasbourg (where I was working), that I did 40km+ per night after work.

Assuming I don't know that road and I've never been a cyclist is very wrong on both parts.
              So what are you whining about then? If you're a competent cyclist you'd have no issue with that descent and you'd understand that some people are better descenders than others. You'd also understand that in all areas of society there are dicks - but a minority of dicks doesn't make everyone in that 'group' a dick - thinking so leads to bigoted views. Much better to treat all individuals as such, don't you think?

Looks pretty straight to me, with the odd curve in the road, but not a particularly technical descent. No tight bends that I saw (or can see on the map). Road wide enough that if you meet a car coming the other way then there is space to cross. No traffic lights. No speed bumps that I could see.

I never said you didn't know the road. In fact the opposite; you said it was a local road so I assumed that you did know the road well.

I think we've exhausted this ... you have your anti cyclist view. It's not good, but hey, up to you. Let's hope you keep it on here and you don't take those views out when you go driving.

Comment

It will be interesting to see if they enforce the 20mph for all vehicles (including the pedal powered ones). I used to drive some of those lanes at around 30mph - where I knew I could safely stop - but there would be cyclists doing 40+ With their heads down over the handlebar. They hit a fallen branch, a puddle, or anything like that, and they are off in a big way.
                That would be a shame.
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Without reading the article is this about removing derestricted status from narrow country roads?

From experience round here the council really hate doing that. I'm not sure why, but it changes the status and the number of zones they have to maange, or something. Case in point, we live in the bottom of a valley between two villages - and I mean only a few hundred metres in each direction.
                  Whichever way you travel, you drive down a wide, straight road with a 30mph limit and as you leave the village the limit goes up to 60 precisely as you enter a short sequence of hairpin bends, steep slopes and right outside our entrance, a narrow single-lane section with blind bends from both sides.
                  You might think they should just maintain the 30mph limit between the villages, but it's important not to have speed limits outside settlements.
                  It is quite fun to bomb around though you struggle to get above 30 and typically as you leave the 3-0mph zone you have to slow down
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So what are you whining about then? If you're a competent cyclist you'd have no issue with that descent and you'd understand that some people are better descenders than others. You'd also understand that in all areas of society there are dicks - but a minority of dicks doesn't make everyone in that 'group' a dick - thinking so leads to bigoted views. Much better to treat all individuals as such, don't you think?

Looks pretty straight to me, with the odd curve in the road, but not a particularly technical descent. No tight bends that I saw (or can see on the map). Road wide enough that if you meet a car coming the other way then there is space to cross. No traffic lights. No speed bumps that I could see.

I never said you didn't know the road. In fact the opposite; you said it was a local road so I assumed that you did know the road well.

I think we've exhausted this ... you have your anti cyclist view. It's not good, but hey, up to you. Let's hope you keep it on here and you don't take those views out when you go driving.
                    Well as us taxpayers have to fund the medical expenses of the idiots exceeding the speed limit and riding recklessly apologies for giving a tulip!

Plenty of cyclists round our way think going at a speed where they can't stop or avoid traffic approaching them is sensible. Scraping them off the bumper is tiresome!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Well as us taxpayers have to fund the medical expenses of the idiots exceeding the speed limit and riding recklessly apologies for giving a tulip!

Plenty of cyclists round our way think going at a speed where they can't stop or avoid traffic approaching them is sensible. Scraping them off the bumper is tiresome!
                      I know, you're right. Us cyclists never pay our taxes. It's only all those car drivers who never cause accidents that subsidise us cyclists.

Can I say a big thank you ... we appreciate your charity.

Oh, hold on, wasn't you bragging in an earlier post that you get up to 25mph .... given your weight your stopping distance will be way longer than the average cyclist. But hey ... you're always right so what do I know
                      Last edited by Whorty; 16 August 2022, 20:00.

Comment

Working...
                      X