• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Surrey speeds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surrey speeds

If you live in rural Surrey you might be driving a bit slower soon. Better get the butler trained with a red flag to walk in front of ones vehicle

You'd think that the website could find a picture of a UK road!
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

These were all 60mph. Reading on other sites that have done stories about how disgraceful it is, none of them have visited or driven on the roads in question, but have decided they are wide, flat A roads.

Comment

Let's face it - if your driving skills are so minimal, or your self belief in your ability is so high that you think 60 is a valid speed for such roads, a number 20 in a big red ring won't make the slightest difference. There's a road across the levels near me that had different speed limits - 30,40, back to 30, 50, 40 30, 50 in one five mile stretch - that were almost impossible to meet, and this on a road that is 50% dead flat and straight. The accident rate did not change in the slightest. They have been rationalised now and at least make sense.

The only way to enforce lower speeds on any road is an average speed camera, and we can't afford them.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

There are some clearings/wooded areas next to roads in Surrey that are old/small car graveyards.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I grew up in this area, there are plenty of roads like this with random pedestrians and no footpath.

Changing the single track ones to 40/50 mph would make sense I have seen plenty of fatal accidents round there.

Sadly the ones that happened on proper A roads are normally the fatal ones if you come round a blind bend at 80 on the wrong side of the road its not going to end well even if its a nice wide road like the A281 or hogs back. I saw multiple accidents and watched a few deaths occur.

As usual the obsession with speed limits is not having a major effect on KSI.

We need sensible (not 20mph ) limits on such roads and speed cameras to back them up. Properly monitored black boxes for new drivers would also help they make up a large portion the accident numbers.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The roads in and out of our village are effectively single track and have a natural speed limit. So 60 might be legal but that'd be a quick way to a smashed car or worse. In effect the speed limits are meaningless in such situations and the people who push their luck would probably ignore silly low limits anyway. The speed limit is simply the speed you can go at whilst being able to stop in the distance you can see allowing for oncoming hooligans blasting around blind bends

Comment

It will be interesting to see if they enforce the 20mph for all vehicles (including the pedal powered ones). I used to drive some of those lanes at around 30mph - where I knew I could safely stop - but there would be cyclists doing 40+ With their heads down over the handlebar. They hit a fallen branch, a puddle, or anything like that, and they are off in a big way.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  It will be interesting to see if they enforce the 20mph for all vehicles (including the pedal powered ones). I used to drive some of those lanes at around 30mph - where I knew I could safely stop - but there would be cyclists doing 40+ With their heads down over the handlebar. They hit a fallen branch, a puddle, or anything like that, and they are off in a big way.
                  Speed limits don't apply to pedal cycles (except for special cases, eg Royal Parks). See:
                  Can cyclists be fined for speeding? | Cycling | The Guardian

That said, the same principle applies as above: even if it's legal to travel at speed X, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's safe to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    You'd think that the website could find a picture of a UK road!
                    Well spotted
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X