• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wasps (insects not Americans)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasps (insects not Americans)

Hardly any of them this year where we are in Cornwall. What's it been like in other parts of the country?

The horse flies (bitey bastards) have been bad but they've just about gone.

Just need the tourists to piss off now.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Not as many wasps, but plenty of bees (bumbles and a neighbour about 3 fields away has honey bees who enjoy our flowers) . Saw our first hornet yesterday evening.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The blood sucking parasites in Scotland are pretty bad.

Midges can be a nuisance as well

Comment

Appear to be loads of wasp and hardly any bees currently.

Comment

Loads of bumble bees particularly earlier in the year... keep finding dead ones! We have a nest/colony which is quite nice, the lavender by the front door is heaving with them.

Had one wasp nest destroyed in the roof (having work done up there) and removed half a dozen new nests under the summer house eaves as we do every spring but haven't seen loads this year.

Loads of mosquitos and quite a few horseflies. Had to remove two ticks so far (about 6 last year).
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Further south, we had wasps set up a nest in one of our sheds. My wife managed to knock it from the floor to ceiling without incurring any wrath. I then finished it off with the hose. It was quite small. Still, I'm sure there's a new nest nearby as when eating outside we're being bothered by two or three quite small wasps.

We've got a wasp spider in one of our flower beds.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Further south, we had wasps set up a nest in one of our sheds. My wife managed to knock it from the floor to ceiling without incurring any wrath. I then finished it off with the hose. It was quite small. Still, I'm sure there's a new nest nearby as when eating outside we're being bothered by two or three quite small wasps.

We've got a wasp spider in one of our flower beds.

Love these .... used to get them in London.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Anyone who says nasty things about nice little wasps will definitely go on my ignore list. Must put some jam out tomorrow.

Going to be lots this year it seems.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/07/heatw...ears-17140545/
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Seen a few wasps about but not enough to be inconvenienced. Had quite a lot of dehydrated bees a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    Seen a few wasps about but not enough to be inconvenienced. Had quite a lot of dehydrated bees a few weeks ago.
                    How do you keep them hydrated or rehydration them?

Oddly not seen many wasps and less hoverflies than normal.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X