• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative careers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David71 View Post
    Reading mudskippers thread about new careers got me thinking. (I'm waiting to start a new gig after my hols so sitting here bored stiff).

I'm a software tester, got into it by accident twenty years ago and while I'm pretty good at it and earn decent £££ it's never been my 'passion'.

I was wondering what alternative careers other people always wished they'd go for?

In my case, in order of what I'd wished I'd spent the last twenty years doing:
    a) Copper - I even applied and got accepted but family circumstances prevented me taking up the offer.
    b) Picture framer - first job, enjoyed 5 years at it but the money is rubbish.
    c) HGV driver - never having to deal with people, absolute bliss!

Apologies for the drivel, think I'm having my mid-life crisis but can't be arsed to have an affair and I'm too tight to buy a flash motor
    All jobs are rubbish money if you do them on the wrong level.

One of my shops acts as a middleman between a framer and some clients (hotels and accommodation providers mostly). The framer (and me) both make some pretty decent money out of it. If you're running a shop putting a cheap polcore moulding around Mrs Miggins' grandkids 8x6 school photo, then the money will be crap. People tend not to ask the price of the frame if they've spent £1000s on what's going in it.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post

I was wondering what alternative careers other people always wished they'd go for?

Comment

I thought about being a gynaecologist so I could look up old friends.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I thought about being a gynaecologist so I could look up old friends.
          so all your old friends are C*nts?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

1.always wanted to be a brain surgeon - find it fascinating
            2.police - royal protection squad - following the royals around all day must be fun - but no decent £££

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
              1.always wanted to be a brain surgeon - find it fascinating
              2.police - royal protection squad - following the royals around all day must be fun - but no decent £££
              How about "Groom of the Stool"?
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I'd be torn between 2 options:

- professional assassin for the secret services
                - furniture maker

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
                  I'm quite happy cutting code ands see it as both a hobby and a job
                  More and more roles are asking for evidence of extra curricular coding activities.

Quite frankly they can **** off - if you don't think I am good enough engage someone else.
                  Last edited by TheDude; 6 July 2022, 08:19.

Comment

I was lucky I got to move from IT into investment and strategy and that was where I would rather have been all along, this route took me into the recruitment industry for a little bit and eventually into publishing which was great fun!
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                      I'd be torn between 2 options:

- professional assassin for the secret services
                      - furniture maker
                      Or do both? One is a good cover for the other

Comment

Working...
                      X