• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Alternative careers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative careers

Reading mudskippers thread about new careers got me thinking. (I'm waiting to start a new gig after my hols so sitting here bored stiff).

I'm a software tester, got into it by accident twenty years ago and while I'm pretty good at it and earn decent £££ it's never been my 'passion'.

I was wondering what alternative careers other people always wished they'd go for?

In my case, in order of what I'd wished I'd spent the last twenty years doing:
    a) Copper - I even applied and got accepted but family circumstances prevented me taking up the offer.
    b) Picture framer - first job, enjoyed 5 years at it but the money is rubbish.
    c) HGV driver - never having to deal with people, absolute bliss!

Apologies for the drivel, think I'm having my mid-life crisis but can't be arsed to have an affair and I'm too tight to buy a flash motor

I have never had a clue of what career to pursue. I have literally bimbled around for 20+ years and managed to keep a roof over my head so far.

Comment

I wished I'd joined the Police. Would have loved brining law to the lawless and sending perps to the cubes. A couple of my friends through my late 20's and 30's were in the police and they've had a very varied career. Certainly not so good for the home life but over their careers they've moved around in interesting areas like motorcycles, firearms, drugs, traffic etc. Most are retiring now in pretty senior positions so the opportunities are there.

That said, with all the news and state of the Police now I'm not as sure but something I always wished I'd done.

I also wished I'd done some god forsaken job like a stint on the rigs or working in an enclave in a oil state or something back in the 80's and 90's when the money was there but it was tough work. Just to test my mettle and see what it was like really. Something different to sitting in an office doing 70+ hours a week when I was a career monkey.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 5 July 2022, 11:04.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I wished I'd joined the Police.
        You are the law?

wish i'd gone into something a bit more active - some sort of health and fitness type. Out of the office, fit and healthy and possibly helps others
        Last edited by ResistanceFighter; 5 July 2022, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I also wished I'd done some god forsaken job like a stint on the rigs or working in an enclave in a oil state or something back in the 80's and 90's when the money was there but it was tough work. Just to test my mettle and see what it was like really. Something different to sitting in an office doing 70+ hours a week when I was a career monkey.
          i did two years in KSA in the 80's. it was sitting in an air conditioned office, in t shirt and jeans, living in a marriot hotel.
          not too tough, really ;-) - and i came back minted (buy a 3 bed house cash minted).
          oh, and there were lots of subsidised activities available too.
          (and booze to be had, if you knew the right people)

Comment

I actually like solving problems so IT fits my needs. Now herding people not so much.

I did do pre sales design & technical support that had variety and lots good lunches.

I sort of fancy doing something creative when I hang up my powerpoint.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

No regrets for me. At school wanted to be a biochemist, but was too bored in 6th form so joined the RAF @ 161/2

Initially doing this :-
              Phantom f$ radar mcs - Google Search

To this

tornado f3 foxhunter - Google Search

And then to the Software team. Left after 16 years to be a contractor and apart from a few years @ RR have been writing for jet fighters ever since.

But now involved in this

UK and US pilots to prepare for frontline on state-of-the-art simulators - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Just been a continual progression of technology from valves to networked simulators.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I'm quite happy cutting code ands see it as both a hobby and a job

Comment

I was thinking of doing a few years training to see if I could become a semi-competent moderator. Not sure if I'm up to it, though.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    I was thinking of doing a few decades training to see if I could become a semi-competent moderator. Not sure if I'm up to it, though.
                    FTFY

you are only a few letters out as an incompetent moderator!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X