• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Alternative careers"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    ftfy?
    nah thats spankthemonkey.com

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

lovemonkey.com?
    ftfy?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    As well as what Doogie mentioned I wanted to be a writer. Used to write all the time as a kid and had a piece published from a competition I won when I was ten.

Then came secondary school where a very unhelpful English teacher accused me of plagiarism on a fantasy piece as my then 11 year old self ‘knew’ way to many big words a kid wouldn’t know. I read the dictionary at 10 a mahoosive Oxford one. After that I gave up and never wrote again

Turned out I was really good at problem solving and so fell into IT and then Sale operations towards the end. The last few years going back as a consultant was soul destroying . Having to deal with dickheads again after being in charge was too much and so I jacked it all in .

I now sell toys on Amazon, Ebay and to a bit our own website. I took a lease out on a warehouse in April and invested £100k into the business to grow it. So that’s what I’m doing now
    lovemoney.com?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    As well as what Doogie mentioned I wanted to be a writer. Used to write all the time as a kid and had a piece published from a competition I won when I was ten.

Then came secondary school where a very unhelpful English teacher accused me of plagiarism on a fantasy piece as my then 11 year old self ‘knew’ way to many big words a kid wouldn’t know. I read the dictionary at 10 a mahoosive Oxford one. After that I gave up and never wrote again

Turned out I was really good at problem solving and so fell into IT and then Sale operations towards the end. The last few years going back as a consultant was soul destroying . Having to deal with dickheads again after being in charge was too much and so I jacked it all in .

I now sell toys on Amazon, Ebay and to a bit our own website. I took a lease out on a warehouse in April and invested £100k into the business to grow it. So that’s what I’m doing now

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I have a picture of HGVs being pelted with Mexican takeaway.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Frequently tacho abuse.
    I have a picture of HGVs being pelted with Mexican takeaway.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

HGV drivers quite often leave the doors/curtain open if they are not carrying freight so that criminals don't target their vehicle while they sleep.
    I would not be shocked if the employers point out the good loads.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

I haven't been an HGV driver but everything I read suggests that they do have to deal with unreasonable people - other road users and people at distribution centres being the two most obvious examples. Also you may end up dealing with people you'd prefer not to -

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...or-the-weekend

Piper was robbed six years ago, in the middle of the night. They took £180,000 worth of clothes. He felt the vehicle moving, but thought it was because of the soft ground on which he was parked, as well as the vibrations from passing traffic. Something felt off, though, so he pulled back the curtain on the passenger side of the cab. A man was standing there. He put one finger on his lips and slid another across his throat. Ten accomplices unloaded the van. Piper called the police, but they said there was nothing they could do. Afterwards, a doctor signed him off work for a week and prescribed him anti-anxiety medication. “It frightened me to bits,” he says.
    Truck driving tends to be a life choice, many stay away most of the week so its a challenge for family men. You rarely get paid for waiting and the supermarkets etc. will have you sitting for hours outside. On big sites you will have s small window to unload but if you get caught at a previous site or in traffic all hell breaks loose because you are late.

Frequently tacho abuse is mandatory enforced by employer and the business is run by shady characters so I would avoid working for a small independent. If you work for the supermarkets they seem to have a constant fire & rehire policy via agencies for any perceived transgression.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

I haven't been an HGV driver but everything I read suggests that they do have to deal with unreasonable people - other road users and people at distribution centres being the two most obvious examples. Also you may end up dealing with people you'd prefer not to -

Piper was robbed six years ago, in the middle of the night. They took £180,000 worth of clothes. He felt the vehicle moving, but thought it was because of the soft ground on which he was parked, as well as the vibrations from passing traffic. Something felt off, though, so he pulled back the curtain on the passenger side of the cab. A man was standing there. He put one finger on his lips and slid another across his throat. Ten accomplices unloaded the van. Piper called the police, but they said there was nothing they could do. Afterwards, a doctor signed him off work for a week and prescribed him anti-anxiety medication. “It frightened me to bits,” he says.
    HGV drivers quite often leave the doors/curtain open if they are not carrying freight so that criminals don't target their vehicle while they sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    I quite fancied being a Highways Agency Womble but the money is crap - I assume they pitch the salaries at retired coppers who already have a decent pension. Also not sure if I could stand the gore at road accidents. That aside it was a great idea.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by David71 View Post
    Reading [B][aking up the offer.

c) HGV driver - never having to deal with people, absolute bliss!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

it says a lot that your mind went there

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/double-dip
    First place my mind went was weight-lifting, or those sherbet sweets

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Win View Post
    Blimey. Good find. Made some good progress in those 10 years but being driven he must have used every progression he could. No comparison but 30 odd years ago when most of my mates with in the police they used to despise the fast trackers and career climbers. Same as any industry I guess. They couldn't be arsed to do it but disliked the people that did.

Leave a comment:

• Win
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I wished I'd joined the Police. Would have loved brining law to the lawless and sending perps to the cubes. A couple of my friends through my late 20's and 30's were in the police and they've had a very varied career. Certainly not so good for the home life but over their careers they've moved around in interesting areas like motorcycles, firearms, drugs, traffic etc. Most are retiring now in pretty senior positions so the opportunities are there.

That said, with all the news and state of the Police now I'm not as sure but something I always wished I'd done.

I also wished I'd done some god forsaken job like a stint on the rigs or working in an enclave in a oil state or something back in the 80's and 90's when the money was there but it was tough work. Just to test my mettle and see what it was like really. Something different to sitting in an office doing 70+ hours a week when I was a career monkey.
    Its not late .. this chap joined at 52
    Realising his potential – Detective Sergeant Graeme Allen – TVP Careers

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Currently on my 3rd career, worked through sales, running a scaffolding yard & now a QS.

If I did not have to worry abut the money then I would go and set up an Etsy craft shop.

I am lucky that QS pays well, there is a shortage, not going to be automated & I enjoy it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X