• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric car

Just bought one. One year old and the price was 10% higher then the original value when it was purchased a year ago.
    As t I found the original receipts in the car, it looks like the original owner bought it, cashed in £2500 government grant and sold it with profit back to the dealer who added a bit more profit and sold it to me.

BTW virtually all relative new electric cars with low mileage are more expensive then new ones, as delivery times for new ones are up to 18 months for BMW 15 months for VW

I watched Fifth Gear Recharged on Quest a few months ago, and couldn't believe how expensive electric cars are. There didn't seem to be anything under £30k, and the more premium stuff was £50k+.

If you think the only main differences between an electric car and a petrol/diesel one are:

1) electric motor -vs- ICE (is an electric motor really that much more expensive than a big lump of ICE?)
    2) batteries (yes, they are expensive but enough to justify such a massive price differential?)

Prices will have to come down a hell of a lot for them to become mainstream.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Round my way the on street chargers seemed to be used regularly.

So they would have to put in loads more street chargers, and actually send parking attendants out to actually ticket people who park in front of them without being plugged in.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I don't know how much more you pay for an electric equivalent like-for-like but a quick Google suggests a typical EV has 30-100kWh of battery and Li-Ion batteries currently cost about £100/kWh so that's an additional £3-10k off the bat.
        I would have thought an EV motor should cost less than a ICE when you factor in the drivetrain which is complicated and expensive.
        However you are still paying for the vast upfront cost manufacturers have put in.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Given the global shortage of chips, it's unsurprising that electronics are going up in price.

I am aware of medical device manufacturers who are redesigning some of their kit to use components that go in to washing machines. These components are not in as short a supply as the others and it's going to be faster to redesign and re-certify than to wait.
          It may mean the products do not last as long or are not as repairable/upgradeable, but if the option is to get something that works properly now, or wait 15 months for the current model, then I know what my choice would be.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I don't know how much more you pay for an electric equivalent like-for-like
            It felt like about double to me.

but a quick Google suggests a typical EV has 30-100kWh of battery and Li-Ion batteries currently cost about £100/kWh so that's an additional £3-10k off the bat.
            Yes, that's what I guessed, and certainly nowhere enough to explain the difference, especially if an electric motor is cheaper than an ICE.

However you are still paying for the vast upfront cost manufacturers have put in.
            I think I'll leave that to the early adopters (eg. show-offs, virtue signallers ) . At the end of the day, whether it's electric or petrol, it's still just a car.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

What I didn't know until I started looking in EVs is that there are loads of charging points, free of charge, mostly at big supermarkets

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I think I'll leave that to the early adopters (eg. show-offs, virtue signallers ) . At the end of the day, whether it's electric or petrol, it's still just a car.
                You need to factor in running costs though as well.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post

I think I'll leave that to the early adopters (eg. show-offs, virtue signallers ) .
                  BMW won't sell many for a while then, if they are only for people who like to signal.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                    What I didn't know until I started looking in EVs is that there are loads of charging points, free of charge, mostly at big supermarkets
                    broken ones then?

Comment

Working...
                    X