• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

And when that is offered, you can blame people for being too lazy to do the job…
    Except the people who could do the job and pay tax on their earnings are being held in camps pending deportation to Rwanda.

Why now let immigrants do the jobs? If we’ve got 1.3million vacancies, why not get people working?
    Oh yeah, cause then how could they be blamed for everything that is wrong with this country?
    If you are interviewing contractors for a role, and you turn up one morning and find a candidate unknown to you has barged his way past reception and is sitting at one of your empty desks, are you going to choose him for the role?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

And when that is offered, you can blame people for being too lazy to do the job…
      Except the people who could do the job and pay tax on their earnings are being held in camps pending deportation to Rwanda.

Why now let immigrants do the jobs? If we’ve got 1.3million vacancies, why not get people working?
      Oh yeah, cause then how could they be blamed for everything that is wrong with this country?
      I'm not pushing that narrative, that is the employers and people who don't understand supply & demand. I understand why the Eastern Europeans wanted to work here, if you paid me the equivalent of £125,000 (Poland's average wage was 1/5 - 1/7th of ours) to clear tables I would be tempted. But employers offering less than on benefits shockingly won't get people to work for them so if they still want to abuse cheap labour they need idiots to support immigration.

I'm not too lazy to wash plates any more, I can just earn more doing a more fulfilling job so I don't bother.

You know the immigrants you mention came here illegally? If you encourage them more will come, then no one will sort out their trumphole country? Unless we want to build millions more houses (hint we haven't built enough for decades) we can let them live on the streets while they wash our plates and our cars.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post

If you are interviewing contractors for a role, and you turn up one morning and find a candidate unknown to you has barged his way past reception and is sitting at one of your empty desks, are you going to choose him for the role?
        WTFH is management material so yes of course he gets the job if he is cheap enough!

One has to think of their bonus and thanks to Gordon B'ruin the government will subsidise his wage with benefits, he will also jump the housing queue.

Comment

If he was sitting there coding or whatever to showcase his skills in the current climate yes.

​​​​​​But that might be from what I'm seeing.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Inflation aside, the energy price crisis is really quite scary. I saw on MSE they are now expecting a further 52% increase in autumn rather than 40% previously anticipated, and that this will last longer.

If we get a bad winter (what are the odds) this will go beyond being just 'difficult' and for more than just a small fraction of the population too.
            Agreed, and I've seen nothing from the government that suggests they really understand what's coming. Bear in mind that for most, the 54%(?) we got this spring was effectively 100%+, since many (myself included) were paying far less than the cap before being catapulted onto the top of the new cap - our bill nearly trebled in fact. I'd say your average family is looking at £2-5k more per year from the end of this year than they were paying at the beginning of last, with plenty of costs up elsewhere as well. That's going to wipe an awful lot of people out.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

WTFH is management material so yes of course he gets the job if he is cheap enough!

One has to think of their bonus and thanks to Gordon B'ruin the government will subsidise his wage with benefits, he will also jump the housing queue.
              Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If he was sitting there coding or whatever to showcase his skills in the current climate yes.

​​​​​​But that might be from what I'm seeing.
              Hmmm well that's a valid viewpoint I guess, but my first instinct would be to call security and get them bundled out the front door.

Comment

Hmmm well that's a valid viewpoint I guess, but my first instinct would be to call security and get them bundled out the front door.
                how dare you bundle him out that front door some lawyer on legal aid will make you pay for that! Don't tell the Archbishop.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

maybe the farmers will actually pay them a decent wage now!
                  Those farmers with all that cash to throw around...
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Agreed, and I've seen nothing from the government that suggests they really understand what's coming. Bear in mind that for most, the 54%(?) we got this spring was effectively 100%+, since many (myself included) were paying far less than the cap before being catapulted onto the top of the new cap - our bill nearly trebled in fact. I'd say your average family is looking at £2-5k more per year from the end of this year than they were paying at the beginning of last, with plenty of costs up elsewhere as well. That's going to wipe an awful lot of people out.
                    Quite. Normally we are talking about "hardship" for a few hundred pounds, the idea a typical family has to find several grand extra is doom. That's the entire discretionary budget for a typical family (no holidays, no gym, etc) and for those on minimum wage or benefits this forthcoming increase alone may represent a sizeable proportion of their total income, I wouldn't be surprised if for some families energy is 50% of their income.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

[QUOTE=vetran;n4222689]

Thank goodness all those small producers who can't fill in forms have got out of the way so the big boys can get on. Oh look facts and figures again!

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...rade/april2022

Ah yes, misusing and mis-interpreting data again.

Let's look a little closer at the very 'facts and figures' you're quoting here, further down that same page for the annual trends in imports and exports for the UK.

"Imports of goods in April 2022 were £13.6 billion (35.4%) higher than April 2021 levels, while exports increased by £4.8 billion (17.8%) over the same period (Table 3). As 2021 data were strongly affected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the end of the EU exit transition period, we have also compared them against 2018 trade data. Compared with April 2018, imports increased by £12.7 billion (32.4%), while exports rose by £3.4 billion (12.3%).

Total imports and exports of goods increased in the three months to April 2022 compared with the same period in 2021. Exports increased by £5.2 billion (6.1%) when compared with the same period in 2018, while imports increased by £33.5 billion (28.5%)."

Here's another quote from the ONS in the previous month's report "The total trade in goods and services deficit, excluding precious metals, widened by £14.9 billion to £25.2 billion in Quarter 1 (Jan to Mar) 2022, reaching the largest deficit since records began in 1997."
                      https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...rade/march2022

So, if you really think what you posted supports your assertion that UK exports are doing well, you really need to get yourself to Specsavers. Or maybe Brainsavers.

Comment

Working...
                      X