• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    On more personal note, this inflation is p*ng me off. Got about £40k in cash and no idea what to do with it. All investments I have made in last 6 months have lost value. Not much point locking away for 5 years in savings account that pays 1.5%. Spending some on improving house but otherwise, I dunno. Spend it on hookers I suppose.
    I'm sure Tarby can give you a hot tip on the gee gees

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

The cost of cake sprinkles were reduced hence they are now in the basket of goods to calculate inflation

Click image for larger version

Name:	300x300.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	4222599
      So are they now 1000000's and 1000000000's? (millions and billions).

Comment

Arguably the money supply has increased from all the bailout QE, Brexit QE, covid QE. If one subscribes to the theory that QE money leaks into the 'real' economy and doesn't stick on the balance sheet of a finance company then this causes inflation. Personally, this is my view, although I admit there are counter arguments.

Then add a supply side shock - food, fuel etc supply constraints. Add tax receipt loss from Brexit. Add UK low productivity.

I understand that people want pay rises, but public sector pay rises will either require more debt (seen the figures this morning for May?) or fewer workers. I can't see how the private sector can sustainably fund this public sector.

How do we fix this mess, short of a recession / depression? I'm expecting a re-run of the 1980s, only worse.

Comment

Inflation aside, the energy price crisis is really quite scary. I saw on MSE they are now expecting a further 52% increase in autumn rather than 40% previously anticipated, and that this will last longer.

If we get a bad winter (what are the odds) this will go beyond being just 'difficult' and for more than just a small fraction of the population too.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ah, see what you did there.

You misused the statistics to make your point as you're quoting the rate of change of the rate of interest.
            I see how it makes the UK look a lot better relative to reality though.

In fact, the actual rate inflation in Israel is only around 4% which is a fair bit lower than the UK's 9.1%

We don't care how fast it changed from a negative value in 2020 to it's current value - it's simply not relevant.

Originally posted by vetran View Post

to quote my old mate Gordon B'Ruin

"its a global problem"

Click image for larger version  Name:	FT_22.06.08_GlobalInflation_2.png Views:	0 Size:	165.9 KB ID:	4222485

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
              Then add a supply side shock - food, fuel etc supply constraints. Add tax receipt loss from Brexit. Add UK low productivity.

hmm

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...nthly-bulletin

only falling YOY tax receipts are Air Passenger Duty and Alcohol are those really Brexit induced?

I do wish people would look at the figures.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

hmm

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...nthly-bulletin
                I do wish people would look at the figures.
                That will teach me to believe what I'm told, I should have fact-checked this myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post

You misused the statistics to make your point as you're quoting the rate of change of the rate of interest.

In fact, the actual rate inflation in Israel is only around 4% which is a fair bit lower than the UK's 9.1%

We don't care how fast it changed from a negative value in 2020 to it's current value - it's simply not relevant.
                  Any reference to the B word seems to bring out the inner politician in him.
                  Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Smartie View Post

Yes that was a bit naughty

Try these because 9.1% is so much worse than 7.9 (germany) , 8.7(Spain) or 8.8 (Netherlands) that must be the Brexit effect.

It is of course better than 11.3% (Greece) , 13.9(Poland) or 73.5 (Turkey)

https://tradingeconomics.com/country...ontinent=world

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

UK is still among the most expensive for road fuel

https://autotraveler.ru/en/spravka/f...l#.YrR1g3bMIdU
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X