• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

30p to make a cooked meal - Tory Hypocrisy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The village we're in being pretty deprived, I see how common it is that people don't have a proper oven or a fridge to store a week's shopping delivery. If you get a CH you have to provide your own carpets, let alone white goods. We have schemes locally to help set people up (not sure if this is the same nationwide) but you might be waiting weeks.

Our church recently helped someone out because it turned out they had not been able to cook food for several months - the landlord wouldn't fix the oven or it had been stolen or something, and they hadn't wanted to tell anyone. The way those at the very bottom of the system are treated is really pretty awful. Another family went 2 months without functioning heating because they couldn't get the landlord to sort it and they had no idea what to do, so they just accepted it - and this wasn't even that notable to them.
    So poor landlords mean we shouldn't bother to encourage our population to cook better or develop themselves?

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I would say that was a outlier case. Most on low incomes know where to go to get the maximum they can. White goods, including washing machines, come under 'essential' and are sorted out pronto for those that ask.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You make so many assumptions it's funny.
        Do explain the assumptions. From your tone I'm assuming you think these are them.

1. Is your residence chosen by the government when you receive a council house? No it isn't, you HAVE to bid for it as per the link to the legislation.
        2. If you are emergency housed then no you go where there is housing available and then wait to bid for permanent housing via the web site. This is outside the scope of the discussion but as you know I believe government should build more social housing and manage it better. There is additional help for people in emergency housing - we have friends who went through it.
        3.You don't get free delivery from Iceland - strange they advertise it. Its restricted based on postcode but one assumes that is for the more remote places.
        4. People learning is a bad thing - hmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
          I would say that was a outlier case. Most on low incomes know where to go to get the maximum they can. White goods, including washing machines, come under 'essential' and are sorted out pronto for those that ask.
          Indeed as are furniture via charity donating directly or being sold at significant discount from charity shops.

Teaching home economics is hardly the insult its being portrayed as.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Those without hope have frequently been abandoned by society.
            This is exactly my point

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

This is exactly my point
              So let us engage, teach them to cook and dream of bettering themselves! I see massive savings in benefits and a happier populace

Comment

So let us engage, teach them to cook and dream of bettering themselves! I see massive savings in benefits and a happier populace
                Nice reverse ferret.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Nice reverse ferret.
                  huh?

Comment

I see how they have come up with the numbers

Shepherd's pie - 26p to 32p per portion
                    Ingredients (for 12-15 portions)
                    One stick of celery
                    This is a great recipe, high in protein, with three vegetables.

I don't think one stick of celery between 12 people counts as one of your five a day!

Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Do explain the assumptions. From your tone I'm assuming you think these are them.

Blah....
                      You don't know who I know in real life, so whatever.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X