• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

30p to make a cooked meal - Tory Hypocrisy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    yet Lee Anderson MP claims £25 per day for meals and £222,000 per year in travel and incidental expenses.
    So what?
    I'm not saying his claims are insensitive and likely inaccurate but what has the fact he spends his life travelling the country and favours convenience over time-saving got to do with anything?
    This seems silly, like criticising someone for flying to an environmental summit affecting national policies.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Whilst it is possible that there are many people in poverty the situation is not as simple as many paint it. I have friends/associates that do not help themselves.

Plenty of people who claim poverty also smoke, drink, run costly vehicles etc.

If your day to day existence is tulip and as far as you are concerned is going to stay that way for the rest of your life then eating tulip, smoking, drinking and/or running a costly vehicle even though you know it will screw you more makes you feel better for a minute or two.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The 30p claim came from a session where they batch cooked in a commercially equipped kitchen using £50 of ingredients up front.

https://www.newstatesman.com/society...st-50-up-front

It presupposes that you have £50 to begin with plus the kit and storage capacity to cook up large batches and store it once cooked and the time to spend 8 hours plus doing nothing but cooking.

Indeed, the 30p figure came from a batch cooking session here: a £50.24 Aldi shop — for the ingredients of chilli con carne, spaghetti bolognese, sweet potato curry and sausage casserole — stretched to 172 servings. “It’s theoretically possible, and these were decent portions,” recalled Martin. “It illustrates the point you can produce healthy meals [cheaply] but it’s not in the capacity of every family, and not easy to replicate in every household. It presupposes you’re buying in bulk, cooking with big catering trays and have the storage.”
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          So what?
          I'm not saying his claims are insensitive and likely inaccurate but what has the fact he spends his life travelling the country and favours convenience over time-saving got to do with anything?
          This seems silly, like criticising someone for flying to an environmental summit affecting national policies.
          No, he is just a **** and friend of Tommy Robinson and the far right, he should not even be in the Tory Party as his political interests are else where.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            Apparently a toast sandwich with pepper is quite tasty.
            Salted butter and dash of pepper is nice on toast but, despite what TheDude says, I don't think it's a meal.

Comment

90p a day for 3 meals.

A kilo of the cheapest rice costs about 40p and provides 1300 calories.

That leaves 50p for some vegetables.

Carrots are only 4p each.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If your day to day existence is tulip and as far as you are concerned is going to stay that way for the rest of your life then eating tulip, smoking, drinking and/or running a costly vehicle even though you know it will screw you more makes you feel better for a minute or two.
                Sadly there will always be an underclass of less well paid workers, using that as an excuse to be profligate to excuse the drudgery of existence is hardly sensible.

Having worked in catering, housekeeping, retail etc. I lived within my means and when I was out of work. As you say the knowledge that you will always be at the bottom of the pile is crushing, maybe we should encourage people like that to better themselves? I did and many others I know did, changing careers in their 30s & 40s going back to university and living on one salary or loans in one bed flats with kids, these aren't rich people.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Whilst it is possible that there are many people in poverty the situation is not as simple as many paint it. I have friends/associates that do not help themselves.

Plenty of people who claim poverty also smoke, drink, run costly vehicles etc.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulat...ved/2018-03-14

Why should people just exist?

We live in one of the wealthiest countries on the planet - they are not trying to survive being marooned on an island or a plane crash in the Andes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    yet Lee Anderson MP claims £25 per day for meals
                    Very modest for 3-4 meals a day, plus whiskey and cigars.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                      A kilo of the cheapest rice costs about 40p and provides 1300 calories.
                      A kilo of rice is 3660 cals (according to Google).

Comment

Working...
                      X