• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Candy store

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candy store

You know all those American candy stores that have suddenly appeared all over Oxford Street in London?

Well they are fronts.

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-...shops-24192552

A tax scam investigation has been launched into dozens of American candy stores that are seen on famous London roads such as Oxford Street. This investigation is being carried out by Westminster Council. Concerns have been raised about the multiple candy shops on social media with videos claiming the "overpriced" stores are "dodgy".

Westminster Council is looking into a total of 30 shops across the West End for allegedly avoiding business rates amounting to at least £7.9million. After becoming concerned by the stores, which the Council said are "poor quality souvenir shops", an investigation was launched which has so far amounted in £100k worth of goods being seized.

450 vapes which exceeded nicotine allowances were also taken. Among tax offences the Council is also investigating whether the shops have:
    • sold out of date food,
    • sold sex novelty sweets,
    • counterfeit “Wonka” bars
    • and possibly breached Covid-19 opening conditions.
    As part of the Council's work to put an end to the candy stores they are currently taking action, including planning enforcement notices where the premises are advertising illegally.

The council admitted that enforcements against these types of stores were hard because of a variety of tactics used by shop owners. Westminster Council said that often there are complex chains or leases, sub-leases, and licences in place with the final sub-leases / licences usually being highly questionable.

They also raised concerns that the individuals occupying the properties on a day-to-day basis are also trained not to provide any information to Council officers when they visit the premises.

Councillor Adam Hug, leader of Westminster City Council, said: "Anyone walking down Oxford Street is struck by the ever expanding number of US style sweet shops and poor quality souvenir outlets. They are not only an eye sore; they are a threat to the status and value of what is supposed to be the nation's premier shopping street.

"The problem is that owners of buildings are turning a blind eye to those who sublet them as it means they are not liable for business rates. That's why we have a rash of US candy stores in prestige locations.

"This needs to stop and we will be stepping up pressure on landlords to make it clear they are responsible for Oxford Street being overrun with these kinds of stores. The people selling overpriced sweets are cheating the UK taxpayer and very often swindling their customers into the bargain."
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Well, this is about 5 years (at least) behind the rest of the country. Most up here in Jockland have come and gone a long time ago. I suppose it's getting attention more for where it's happening. Just wait till they put a hand car wash right in the middle of Oxford St, flanked by a couple of sunbed shops and a Turkish Barber
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I imagine it is a symptom of a larger problem - that retail is dying on its *** and nobody wants to pay for retail space.
        Saying that, I did go into one of these candy shops on Oxford St a couple of weeks ago and thought it was nicely laid out and had a great selection of products. A whole shelf of chewing gums (that are my current addiction).

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
          Well, this is about 5 years (at least) behind the rest of the country. Most up here in Jockland have come and gone a long time ago. I suppose it's getting attention more for where it's happening. Just wait till they put a hand car wash right in the middle of Oxford St, flanked by a couple of sunbed shops and a Turkish Barber
          These contrary to popular opinion are not good fronts for ML.
          The connoisseurs of ML prefer hot food takeaway, 24 hour retail, pubs and night clubs because of the cash throughput. Sunbed shops for example simply do not deliver the levels of cash handling to sufficiently launder large amounts of cash most payments are debit/credit card. Sunbed shops are more likely to be what in brokerage circles is called a PEMS business. Similar examples of PEMS businesses are nail bars and dog grooming parlours.

PEMS stands for Preventing Extra Marital Shagging and is where the husband sets the wife up in business in a bid to stop her from bonking the personal trainer whilst he is out at work. I know a few contractors who have fallen into this trap.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

Private Eye reported on this kind of scam a few years ago.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Private Eye reported on this kind of scam a few years ago.
              Can you explain the scam? Who benefits, and how? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Can you explain the scam? Who benefits, and how? Just curious.
                Private Eye on West End souvenir shops : london (reddit.com)
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

London is one big state sponsored money laundering operation. Only the little crooks will receive any attention. The big dog behind it all will survive scrutiny.
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

These contrary to popular opinion are not good fronts for ML.
                    The connoisseurs of ML prefer hot food takeaway, 24 hour retail, pubs and night clubs because of the cash throughput. Sunbed shops for example simply do not deliver the levels of cash handling to sufficiently launder large amounts of cash most payments are debit/credit card. Sunbed shops are more likely to be what in brokerage circles is called a PEMS business. Similar examples of PEMS businesses are nail bars and dog grooming parlours.

PEMS stands for Preventing Extra Marital Shagging and is where the husband sets the wife up in business in a bid to stop her from bonking the personal trainer whilst he is out at work. I know a few contractors who have fallen into this trap.
                    That's going to make me grin all day. An associate of mine did that recently wait till I take the mick out of him!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X