• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone here with British Gas?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here with British Gas?

Long story short, I've got a smart meter yet they are still giving me eye watering estimated bills which eventually get rectified down the line when they create a bill from an actual reading. However having to pay a monthly bill of £210 when in reality I owe £95 is bang out of order. Do they think I'm here to offer 0% loans to them or something?

Unfortunately they are totally uncontactable via phone because I haven't got all day to wait in the damn queue. Is there anywhere else I can take this complaint - some kind of onbudsman / regulator or something?

Cancel the direct debit. That will get their attention.

on the other hand, maybe submit a reading?????
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Cancel the direct debit. That will get their attention.

on the other hand, maybe submit a reading?????
      I don't pay by DD - I pay by debit card. I have flagged this with them before & they've told me that the estimated reading will stop but it never does. That said, the only comms I seem to be able to have them is via a chat app with somebody in a far flung corner of the globe so I have little faith in anything ever been actioned there

Comment

Submit a reading.

And switch to DD payments, it's cheaper.

If you are actually overpaying then there will be a credit on your account when they get a real reading. Then they will recalculate.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Submit a reading.

And switch to DD payments, it's cheaper.
          DD might not be a bad idea. As for your other point, can't see the point of the smart meter which is set to submit a reading ever 30 minutes if they are going to keep clobbering me with these staggering estimates. What sort of frequency should you submit a reading?

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If you are actually overpaying then there will be a credit on your account when they get a real reading. Then they will recalculate.
            They just shouldn't be doing this - some of us have monthly cash flows to think about

Comment

It's not just British Gas, we're with Shell and they put our DD up from £120 to £220 p/m. Even I can work out that's more than 54%. I submit a reading every month and it hasn't gone down. I suspect they're all sitting on millions in overpayments, and Ofgem, being a spineless bunch of useless feckwits, done have the balls to call them out.
              I don't (and won't) have a smart meter because they appear to be anything but smart.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post

DD might not be a bad idea. As for your other point, can't see the point of the smart meter which is set to submit a reading ever 30 minutes if they are going to keep clobbering me with these staggering estimates. What sort of frequency should you submit a reading?
                If you're not prepared to submit a reading yourself, I can't see the point in complaining! (And I'm not sure why YOU have chosen to configure your smart meter to submit every 30 minutes, I'd probably only go for once a day)

I normally submit a manual reading once each month. Only takes a few seconds to read the smart meter and type it in to the website for the supplier I use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  It's not just British Gas, we're with Shell and they put our DD up from £120 to £220 p/m. Even I can work out that's more than 54%. I submit a reading every month and it hasn't gone down. I suspect they're all sitting on millions in overpayments, and Ofgem, being a spineless bunch of useless feckwits, done have the balls to call them out.
                  I don't (and won't) have a smart meter because they appear to be anything but smart.
                  I've got one in one of my shops and I still get estimated bills every quarter that are 3-4 X the actual bill. What's worse is that when you try to use the automated meter reading thingy, it won't work for smart meter readings so you spend hours on hold trying to submit readings. My other shop, same elec supplier, has old style meter. They still over estimate massively, but it's a two minute job to submit a reading by phone to an automated service.

As you say, anything but smart.
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    And is your account in credit at the minute or not?

Nice to see how it's the smart meter, Ofgem and the supplier who are at fault for your choice. Did the rate go from £120 to £220 in one jump? If so, a smart person would look at changing suppliers.

Comment

Working...
                    X