• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BoJo to face confidence vote….

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris Johnson's anti-coruption Czar speaking to the Beeb -
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Boris Johnson's anti-coruption Czar speaking to the Beeb -
      The key point is one of interpretation it seems. Johnson claims he didn't break the ministerial code, because he did not knowingly mislead the House. That is based on his understanding that the "parties" were work meetings (just like Starmer's beer and curry night in fact). Penrose takes a harder view, that regardless of Boris's understanding, it was not a work event and therefore outside the rules, and therefore any explanation other than an outright admission (and, clearly, an immediate resignation) broke the code. Even then, he recognises the things that Boris has got very right but sadly does not consider them sufficient to outweigh what is ultimately a trivial issue.

As ever with these things, it's all about interpretation of badly framed rules and precedents and sloppy (or biased) reporting that ignore harsh reality. And in this particular case, abysmal and amateurish timing from people who seek to lead the country.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I couldn't find the answer to this but has any Tory leader ever won a confidence vote, and then gone on to win a GE?

I guess there's always a first.

Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          I couldn't find the answer to this but has any Tory leader ever won a confidence vote, and then gone on to win a GE?

I guess there's always a first.
          Has one ever been fined by the police and not resigned?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

The key point is one of interpretation it seems.
            I don't agree, the key point is how people will vote come the next election. Most people I've spoke to around here (south Leeds to Pontefract) just won't forgive outright lies, no matter how trivial the offence seems. Boris was/is popular because he give the aura of not been one of the smug elite, then he goes and carries out a text book do as I say not as I do! People are quite pragmatic about some of the larger issues, some he got right, some he got wrong. Although Vaccination was mainly due to Hancock's foresight & Ukraine armament due to Wallace, who foresaw it a good while ago and got through the MOD red tape so Boris could deliver quickly.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

I don't agree, the key point is how people will vote come the next election. Most people I've spoke to around here (south Leeds to Pontefract) just won't forgive outright lies, no matter how trivial the offence seems. Boris was/is popular because he give the aura of not been one of the smug elite, then he goes and carries out a text book do as I say not as I do! People are quite pragmatic about some of the larger issues, some he got right, some he got wrong. Although Vaccination was mainly due to Hancock's foresight & Ukraine armament due to Wallace, who foresaw it a good while ago and got through the MOD red tape so Boris could deliver quickly.
              To be fair, Hancock's ability to react to Covid was down to not being shackled to EU red tape, which was somewhat fortuitous. That said, he made zero progress as Health Secretary in the three years he was SoS for Health, and was sacked (rather than resigned) for a flagrant breach of several different rules, so not exactly an exemplar of a future leader.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                There is an ongoing effort by those who want him to remain in power to claim there's only one wrong thing and that all the left-wing media (Tory run Telegraph, Tory run Mail, Tory run BBC, etc) keep going on about that one thing, but that it's really minor and trivial. They want us to forget about the 100 other lies, failures, etc of him and his government by telling us that we have to move on from that one thing. It's a successful piece of misdirection.
                It's then followed up with a list of a few things that have gone well over the last few years, again with constant claims that no one talks about them.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Waitrose women as described by the FT -

https://www.ft.com/content/4d907ce4-...2-9e085ef1b7ec

Meet Catherine. This imaginary voter is 48, with two children at secondary school, living in the well-heeled Surrey suburb of Esher.

Catherine and her partner work in the City, commuting in on the train a few days a week.

Crucially, she shops at the upmarket Waitrose store.

Catherine is blessed to be at the front of Boris Johnson’s mind. She is a socially liberal, “small c” conservative, preferring low taxes — her reliance on the state is limited. She voted to remain in the EU but accepted Brexit. She was a natural Tory, but has floated off to the Liberal Democrats. She is “Waitrose Woman”, a class of commuter belt voter that the prime minister has told colleagues to win back to stave off electoral annihilation

Waitrose women as described by The Slaver -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...waitrose-woman

“Waitrose woman” is a new voter demographic reportedly identified by the Conservatives as one that Johnson needs to win back in order to hold fast at No 10. According to their research she is middle class, southern and not a fan of Brexit or culture wars.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

The key point is one of interpretation it seems.

Not to Waitrose Woman.

Comment

Who goes every where - https://metro.co.uk/2022/06/05/boris...orks-16771771/

Boris Johnson ‘flicked his finger’ at customers of a trendy east London restaurant after they booed him, according to reports.

Enjoying some time away from scandal-hit Downing Street, the prime minister visited Morito in Hackney, where his son Theo reportedly works.

But he apparently faced a less-than-warm reaction upon his arrival from fellow diners.

His lunch was interrupted by heckles, to which the Tory leader responded with a ‘dismissive hand gesture and left the establishment’.

Comment

Working...
                      X