• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Screwed Over Utilities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    You know you are with an energy supplier for electric and/or gas?

Well now Ofgem has locked you in with them unless you move house.

Martin Lewis is now ranting on the radio.
    Is this true? I cant find anything. The whole point was to encourage moving.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Is this true? I cant find anything. The whole point was to encourage moving.
      So you think Martin Lewis is a liar? He was in the meeting.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-l...-plan-12614328
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

So you think Martin Lewis is a liar?
        Because it your world those are the only two options, he's 100% correct or he's a liar. Such a sensationalist.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Because it your world those are the only two options, he's 100% correct or he's a liar. Such a sensationalist.
          I'm 100% with you on that.

It's all spin.

...but I would expect his spin to be closer to the truth than some of the other spin that would come out.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Screwed Over Utilities
            Every time I see this post I think it must be about shagging over a washing machine.

Anyway. Back OT. I have biogas, which is cheaper than "natural" gas (isn't biogas natural), but the price is 1:1 with natural gas. Most irritating.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Every time I see this post I think it must be about shagging over a washing machine.
              Not just me then!

Sue Ellen, in the utility room with a bendix?

I don't want to hear about your biogas, at least be polite enough to leave the room before you break wind!
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A windfall tax seems a bit dodgy really. Could a tax theoretically be put on each barrel sold? I know taxing turnover is very unpopular for quite good reasons normally.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  A windfall tax seems a bit dodgy really. Could a tax theoretically be put on each barrel sold? I know taxing turnover is very unpopular for quite good reasons normally.
                  Simple solution would be to tax dividends harder.

...except that's not a great outcome for small Ltd being run by contractors, but it completely removes the need to tax a business or consumer - knowing that any tax increase will be passed on to the consumer anyway.

The problem is that we are all Maggie's children, the idea of privatise everything and have the people buy shares, so those with lots of shares will have less free money coming to them, which will have the Wailers wailing.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

but but but... my pension....

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

...except that's not a great outcome for small Ltd being run by contractors, but it completely removes the need to tax a business or consumer - knowing that any tax increase will be passed on to the consumer anyway.

The problem is that we are all Maggie's children, the idea of privatise everything and have the people buy shares, so those with lots of shares will have less free money coming to them, which will have the Wailers wailing.
                      You'd think it wouldn't be too horrendously difficult to segregate dividends from shares held in public companies, from private, or some such thing. It's not just contractors but small businesses generally and the concept of profits issues to shareholders being treated differently seems reasonable on the face of it.
                      And even then, companies don't always distribute big dividends, the value is held in the share price.

Comment

Working...
                      X