• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Screwed Over Utilities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screwed Over Utilities

You know you are with an energy supplier for electric and/or gas?

Well now Ofgem has locked you in with them unless you move house.

Martin Lewis is now ranting on the radio.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/sta...Cw7dzL9K0qAAAA

To journalists writing about today's Ofgem changes - don't ignore the 'market stabilization' announcement. Its a disaster that means if wholesale prices fall & a new firm gets a switcher, it must pay 85% of difference to old firm. Killing hopes of firms launching cheaper deals.

Comment

https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ofgem has moved to a formal consultation about changing the price cap every 3mths (rather than current 6) I had pushed to soften this to every 4mths but what counts is its structure (inc forward guidance). I'm due to discuss its proposals with it within the hour to learn more

Comment

There should be no cap at all.

Comment

I'm quite lucky in that Shell Energy have confirmed that when I move (as my landlady has confirmed today that I am being served notice) I will keep the two year fixed rate tariff I took in September last year. I was worried they'd use the move as an excuse to cancel the deal and move me onto a more expensive tariff.

Comment

It's strange that with energy suppliers telling us the cap means they're losing money and so many smaller suppliers indeed going bust, that record profits are being announced and there's calls for windfall taxes. How's that all work?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              There should be no cap at all.
              I agree....

Privatised regulated industries can work if they can compete.
              The cap prevents them from competing.

It was stupid populist idea when Milliballs suggested it.
              It was even stupider, and still populist, that it was implemented by the fecking Tories.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It's strange that with energy suppliers telling us the cap means they're losing money and so many smaller suppliers indeed going bust, that record profits are being announced and there's calls for windfall taxes. How's that all work?
                there are huge profits to be made as a wholesaler of gas and oil. Not retail.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis/sta...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ofgem has moved to a formal consultation about changing the price cap every 3mths (rather than current 6) I had pushed to soften this to every 4mths but what counts is its structure (inc forward guidance). I'm due to discuss its proposals with it within the hour to learn more
                  He wasn't happy...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

there are huge profits to be made as a wholesaler of gas and oil. Not retail.
                    But I thought the prices were shooting up due to their own costs - is that not the case and they've simply been jumping prices?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X