• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council tax is illegal!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council tax is illegal!

According to a leaflet I got through my door anyway. More loony stuff or is there some truth in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHO7_mvOtg
    https://peacekeepers.org.uk/council-tax-obligation/
    https://www.debt-less.co.uk/products/council-tax/

From the arguments about lack of contract it would seem that all taxes are illegal. Hurrah! Bring back anarchy!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    According to a leaflet I got through my door anyway. More loony stuff or is there some truth in it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaHO7_mvOtg
    https://peacekeepers.org.uk/council-tax-obligation/
    https://www.debt-less.co.uk/products/council-tax/

From the arguments about lack of contract it would seem that all taxes are illegal. Hurrah! Bring back anarchy!
    Total bollox.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't know why the mad always claim that anything that can land you in prison if you don't pay it e.g. TV license, Council tax is illegal.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Is there some irony around Peacekeepers site? On their heading it says 'Without the rule of law there can be no peace' and in their mission statement it says 'No one is above the law and all are equal under the law.' So if the law of the land is to pay council tax then they are contradicting themselves?

That said their argument is that no one has ever signed a contract to pay council tax and it's illegal to force someone in to a contract... but by using the facilities provided such as bins, emergency service and so on they've entered in to an implied contract so a contract does exist?

What is an Implied Contract?

Implied agreements create enforceable legal obligations between parties when honest business people would expect the business reality to be legally enforceable, and there is no express agreement.

Implied contracts mitigate against cases where one would-be contracting party acts as if there was a contract in force, and then, when it suits them denies a contract exists because the legal documentation does not satisfy the usual requirements of express contract.
        So from the second paragraph below the implied contract mitigates the case they are arguing perfectly?

I really dunno why I put that much effort in to that to be honest. It's all very silly and I don't really care.. carry on....
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          I don't know why the mad always claim that anything that can land you in prison if you don't pay it e.g. TV license, Council tax is illegal.
          Hey it's not just the mad. How many times do we see people on here with situations they don't like or suit them on here and immediately ask if it's 'illegal'
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

They are correct in one thing. You are obliged to pay council tax by force, not by contract. You can whine about that use of force, but it won't stop it being used. When you say to a government "you and whose army", they just point to their army. And since the law makes it lawful to use force to enforce these things, it's all a bit silly.

I'm surprised they didn't mention Magna Carta.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Hey it's not just the mad. How many times do we see people on here with situations they don't like or suit them on here and immediately ask if it's 'illegal'
              The situations they talk about don't tend to land someone in prison if one party doesn't pay up.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                That said their argument is that no one has ever signed a contract to pay council tax and it's illegal to force someone in to a contract... but by using the facilities provided such as bins, emergency service and so on they've entered in to an implied contract so a contract does exist?
                Where is it written you have to agree to something to be bound by it? I haven't ever agreed to pay normal tax or to obey laws generally for that matter.
                Seems a bit silly and egotistical... "I didn't sign up to this"
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I wuzz just about to say same thing d0000000000000000000000000gh.

One thing about council tax though, it's bleeding unfair due to an inaccurate one off valuation in 1991. Because my house is detached and a more recent build I am in a higher band than my neighbour although his is actually worth more. Was not a great fan of Thatcher but her poll tax was a good idea, people should pay a fair share of the services they get, it should not be arbitrarily based on property value.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    I wuzz just about to say same thing d0000000000000000000000000gh.

One thing about council tax though, it's bleeding unfair due to an inaccurate one off valuation in 1991. Because my house is detached and a more recent build I am in a higher band than my neighbour although his is actually worth more. Was not a great fan of Thatcher but her poll tax was a good idea, people should pay a fair share of the services they get, it should not be arbitrarily based on property value.
                    People seem generally opposed to changing the system but I assume this is not that they think it's a good system, but that they assume any new system will be more expensive as a chance for stealth tax increases.

Local income taxes instead of property tax could be an option. Of course that removes an opportunity to tax rich retired people. Should the government/council do mandatory house valuations every couple of years?!
                    Last edited by d000hg; 6 May 2022, 09:41.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X