• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Council tax is illegal!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=vetran;n4216800]
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They can do it like house valuations.

So they band people's homes like now. Then do a drive by house valuation every 5 or so years. Then increase the value of homes in the band and the property tax as a percentage will naturally adjust accordingly.

It will help encourage people move out of homes too big for them.[/QUOTE]

yeah because people buying stuff with their own money is so bourgeoise.

There are a number of organisations that will provide you with fairly reliable pricing for most housing based on sales and other stats. Zoopla being one.
    Zoopla's data is so inaccurate it isn't funny.

The same houses on the same street can vary by 50% due to when they were last sold. Oh and the houses are the same.

Anyway mortgage valuations use a similar technique but it is not as mad as what Zoopla comes out with.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That's one way they do mortgage valuations.
      And? A mortgage valuation is used for a lender to decide how much of their money I can have - it's their prerogative when it's their money. Very different to determining how much tax I am told I have to pay.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

And? A mortgage valuation is used for a lender to decide how much of their money I can have - it's their prerogative when it's their money. Very different to determining how much tax I am told I have to pay.
        The initial banding was done through a similar exercise which is why you can appeal the band your property is in. Or did you think in 1990/1991 in England or 2002/2003 in Wales they visited every single property?

Comment

The initial banding was done through a similar exercise which is why you can appeal the band your property is in. Or did you think in 1990/1991 in England or 2002/2003 in Wales they visited every single property?
          So your argument is that since we did it badly before, we should do it badly again?

Comment

Been thinking about appealing my property band, all the newer builds in my road are in a higher band although they aren't worth more on average.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Another quirk of Council Tax being based on banding of the house not valuation is that people in more expensive areas pay proportionately less.
              I wonder if anyone already has compiled a "council tax as % of actual value" for different parts of the country?

Comment

So your argument is that since we did it badly before, we should do it badly again?
                Well you can pay for them to come around to your property.

Myself and a lot of others would be happy for it to be based on the lowest valued similar property on the street.

Comment

Working...
                X