• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What a twit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a twit

A man who racially abused Marcus Rashford on Twitter after the striker missed a penalty in England's Euro 2020 final shoot-out defeat has been jailed.

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said Justin Lee Price sent a "clearly racist" tweet to the Manchester United player after the loss in July 2021.

The 19-year-old's actions constituted a "hate crime", a CPS spokesman said.

Price, of Grandison Gardens, Worcester, was jailed for six weeks at Kidderminster Magistrates' Court.

A bit of a wake-up call really, how seriously social media can be taken by the law. 6 weeks in prison for a single tweet... I'm not sure if he had priors because that seems tremendously tough as a first action to me?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

A computer control order (banning him from social media) would have been far cheaper and efficient.

No twitter for the tw@t for a year makes sense.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      A computer control order (banning him from social media) would have been far cheaper and efficient.

No twitter for the tw@t for a year makes sense.
      I'd have to agree with this but then didn't see if there was mitigating circumstances i.e. a long history of tweets like this or turning up to court in a BNP tee-shirt etc.

If he's been a keyboard warrior thinking he's safe saying this rubbish on line the above would have probably been the wakeup call he needed. If he's a long history of it and it's clearly a problem he has offline then maybe jail was the best wake up call after all.

EDIT : Actually thinking about it, forget the above. If someone is that stupid then they deserve whatever they get however overly harsh it may be. Screw the idiot.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Jail seems a bit harsh. A £50 fine would have been fairer - it's hardly the crime of the century.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

EDIT : Actually thinking about it, forget the above. If someone is that stupid then they deserve whatever they get however overly harsh it may be. Screw the idiot.
          Stupidity is not a defence but neither is it a punishable offence.

Some sort of fine or court-ordered community service seems more likely to be the wake-up call needed. There's also the disparity what about all the other people who do this sort of thing every day and got away with it? Rashford got a LOT of abuse for that game and I imagine gets racist messages every day. And is it a worse offence to insult someone famous?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/...renottheanswer

£44k for a prison place.

An order that he cannot touch the internet probably a few hundred quid.

If he is a regular offender weekly community service and/or £20K on tagging would be better.

What he did was very wrong but I would save a prison place for violent offenders or rehab for addicts.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

He must have a habit of abusing people on social media.

There is a lot the papers deliberately leave out.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm with that Not The Nine O'Clock News Sketch.

Cut their goolies off. Right off with them.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Stupidity is not a defence but neither is it a punishable offence.

Some sort of fine or court-ordered community service seems more likely to be the wake-up call needed. There's also the disparity what about all the other people who do this sort of thing every day and got away with it? Rashford got a LOT of abuse for that game and I imagine gets racist messages every day. And is it a worse offence to insult someone famous?
                  I'd kind of agree but I'm not that bothered either way to be honest. Also what isn't reported in some of the stories is the following.

He initially tried to avoid detection by changing his Twitter username after the post was reported, the CPS said.

The teenager then denied the offence in his first police interview after his arrest, but later admitted posting the tweet when officers questioned him a second time.
                  So lying to the police won't have helped his case. I can't help thinking if he'd admitted it he might have avoided a jail sentence but it has been quoted the judge had to impose a jail sentence due to the racist nature of the post so who knows.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

CUK sockies will be shaking in their boots.

Comment

Working...
                    X