• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whoopsi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoopsi

Originally posted by BBCNews
    Whoopi Goldberg has been suspended from a US talk show after saying the Holocaust involved "two groups of white people".

ABC News said Goldberg would be off-air for two weeks after her "wrong and hurtful comments".
    Interesting one this. From my reading she did not diminish in any way the horror of the Holocaust, which is what her attackers are claiming. Neither did she utter any anti-semitic views in the slightest, which again is being claimed by implication.

Neither Germans nor ethnic Jews are a 'race' IIRC. Whoopi muddies the waters by implying it can't be racist if both groups are white (and this headline sensationalises that out of context) but the claim is that since Hitler believed it was a matter of race, that means it was even though he was plain wrong.

The public and studio response seems your typical snowflakery "we can't discuss this topic in case people are hurt, cancel her" but on the actual topic, I'm a bit torn.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Quite agree with you. People should make a fuss about intentional racism, not about comments with no racist intent. In practice most serious divisions in society are more about cultural differences.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Interesting one this. From my reading she did not diminish in any way the horror of the Holocaust, which is what her attackers are claiming. Neither did she utter any anti-semitic views in the slightest, which again is being claimed by implication.

Neither Germans nor ethnic Jews are a 'race' IIRC. Whoopi muddies the waters by implying it can't be racist if both groups are white (and this headline sensationalises that out of context) but the claim is that since Hitler believed it was a matter of race, that means it was even though he was plain wrong.

The public and studio response seems your typical snowflakery "we can't discuss this topic in case people are hurt, cancel her" but on the actual topic, I'm a bit torn.
      Jews are a race.
      Some Germans are members of a race (Anglo-Saxons, Turks, Jews, amongst others).

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Well if travellers or native Americans are considered a race for discrimination then Jews must be.

If of course you subscribe to the out of Africa theory they are all just cultures and genetic groups.

Whoopi should be told that the NAZIs were quite keen on killing anyone who didn't conform to their ideals. Plenty of people of colour died at their hands or were forcibly sterilised. Being Gay or disabled was risky as well.

Half a million Roma/Sinti people were executed!

https://www.hmd.org.uk/learn-about-t...the-porrajmos/

Sterilisation

https://www.hmd.org.uk/learn-about-t.../black-people/

Sadly her comments are ill informed and insensitive at the very least, I do suspect anti Semitism is fairly common in Hollywood Mel Gibson was one of their top actors for decades.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

US public (state) schools don't teach much world history they concentrate on US history, so it is quite easy for Americans brought up there to come out with ignorant comments on historic world events.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            US public (state) schools don't teach much world history they concentrate on US history, so it is quite easy for Americans brought up there to come out with ignorant comments on historic world events.
            British schools don't really do history well either.

She might want to watch something like this:

https://holocaustlearning.org.uk/lat...Nazi%20Germany.

or this

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0939621/

This one uncovers the planning which really blows your mind.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446610/

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Jews are a race.
              I don't think that is true is it. There are black jews, indian jews etc. They are definitely a 'group' but I am not sure anyone has definitely said they are a race. People who aren't religious identify as Jewish. It's a proper melting pot. Culture, race, heritage, nationality are all in there so to say Jews are a race is partly right but also wrong. It's an odd one.

Back on Whoopi though... there was a comment she made, somewhere around her saying racism to her was blackness and then said something else. They way she phrased it she might as well have said 'all white people look the same' which, by changing the colour in that sentence is one of the most racist things you can say (to some people). She's proper screwed up this time.#

People have been fired, cancelled and whatever for much much less. I don't think she should come out of this with her job and reputation intact.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I don't think that is true is it. There are black jews, indian jews etc. They are definitely a 'group' but I am not sure anyone has definitely said they are a race. People who aren't religious identify as Jewish. It's a proper melting pot. Culture, race, heritage, nationality are all in there so to say Jews are a race is partly right but also wrong. It's an odd one.
                There is a clear distinction between ethnic and religion though in this case since the Jews were originally a specific people group. We're talking about the ethnic Jews here but I'm just not sure if it is a recognised race though - can one be racist to the Jewish race, or only anti-semitic?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Some people just don't stop to think as they rush to claim the moral high ground.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    There is a clear distinction between ethnic and religion though in this case since the Jews were originally a specific people group. We're talking about the ethnic Jews here but I'm just not sure if it is a recognised race though - can one be racist to the Jewish race, or only anti-semitic?
                    correct. Ethnic Jews are separate to the religion. They are descended from the Israelites by the maternal line.
                    There can be black Jews but only where a black man has been introduced into the genetic lineage.

Wikipedia has a lot of information. Jews - Wikipedia

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X