• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax-cutting Conservatives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Labours mandate could be localism e.g. local government, considering how popular some of their mayors are, which would mean small national government and smaller national taxation.
    Yeah because Khan has done so well on Crime & Transport...
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Yeah because Khan has done so well on Crime & Transport...
      Oh so you believe Boris "Garden Bridge I-stole-the-bike-name-from-Ken" Johnson?

(BTW I believe the only requirement you have for being Mayor of London is having a better personality than your main opposition competitor as you don't have any real power.)
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh so you believe Boris "Garden Bridge I-stole-the-bike-name-from-Ken" Johnson?

(BTW I believe the only requirement you have for being Mayor of London is having a better personality than your main opposition competitor as you don't have any real power.)
        https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ime-in-london/

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

A better personality? I'd re-write that as a personality that makes people believe what you say. Doesn't have to be true.

Comment

Is there a stated reasoning behind it being NI then switching to a separate 'levy'? Back-end logistics maybe? Or is this a pointer towards major NI reforms down the line?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Is there a stated reasoning behind it being NI then switching to a separate 'levy'? Back-end logistics maybe? Or is this a pointer towards major NI reforms down the line?
              They can claim that they didn't put up NI by introducing a new tax. Make the tax system more complex, means you can increase the overall by muddying the waters.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

They can claim that they didn't put up NI by introducing a new tax. Make the tax system more complex, means you can increase the overall by muddying the waters.
                That's why I said "stated" reason rather than "actual" reason Put another way, why didn't they do the new levy straight away instead of hack it through as NI?
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

That's why I said "stated" reason rather than "actual" reason Put another way, why didn't they do the new levy straight away instead of hack it through as NI?
                  I think I read somewhere that it was through NI initially to get the money rolling, then move it to a separate levy so that it would be preserved as a discrete fund. Taxes aren't hypothecated, so leaving it as part of the general taxation would mean it could (and probably would) be spent elsewhere.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

As far as I'm aware, there is literally no distinction, at any important level, between income tax (for example) and NI once the monies are received (obviously, they are separate taxes, levied differently and require different accounting); but they are paid to the same accounts and they all go towards "general taxation". As noted above there is no hypothecation in general (for good reason) and, hence, at the moment priorities are funded, there is no useful distinction.

Even when the formal HSCL kicks in (in FY23/24, I think), the "hypothecation" advertised by the gov't is fake/erroneous because there will be no connection between the level of investment and the amount raised by the levy, which is literally what hypothecation means.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      "Rishi Sunak wins tug-of-war over national insurance hike

Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak have jointly pledged to push ahead with a £12 billion hike in national insurance in a rebuke to MPs who have demanded that they scrap the tax rise to ease the cost-of-living crisis.
                      good. Don’t you hate it when the permies try and wriggle out of paying their fair share of tax?

if I had my way they would double NI and use the money to cut corporation tax and VAT.

Comment

Working...
                      X