• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Let them eat c*** part 193

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let them eat c*** part 193

(cake that is).

The European Court of Human Rights has dismissed a legal challenge in a long-running dispute known as the "gay cake" case, ruling the action inadmissible.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59882444 - but to save you the trouble:
    Mr Lee sued a Northern Ireland bakery for refusing to make a cake decorated with the slogan "Support Gay Marriage".

Ashers Bakery, a Christian-run firm, refused the order, saying the slogan contravened their religious beliefs.

Mr Lee, from Belfast, alleged that by refusing to fulfil the order, the bakery had discriminated against him on grounds of his sexual orientation and political beliefs.
    He won his original case and a subsequent appeal in the UK courts, but in 2018 the UK Supreme Court disagreed with the lower courts' decisions and found in favour of the bakery.

Mr Lee then took his case to the European Court of Human Rights. On Thursday it ruled his case was inadmissible because he had not invoked his rights under the European Convention of Human Rights "at any point in the domestic proceedings" in the UK courts.

The judges decided that in order for a complaint to be admissible, "the Convention arguments must be raised explicitly or in substance before the domestic authorities".

"The applicant had not invoked his Convention rights at any point in the domestic proceedings," the ruling stated.

"By relying solely on domestic law, the applicant had deprived the domestic courts of the opportunity to address any Convention issues raised, instead asking the Court to usurp the role of the domestic courts.

"Because he had failed to exhaust domestic remedies, the application was inadmissible," it added.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I struggle to see this as a discrimination case. Even though religious beliefs were the reason for refusing to make the cake, there is nothing that says a company is required sell you one of their products on demand.

It seems to me that Mr Lee is discriminating against the bakery for refusing consider their religious and political beliefs. Perhaps if people were more understanding of the fact that not everyone has the same beliefs, there'd be less suing and more tolerance.

Comment

I heard the headline then eventually heard this:
      "Because he had failed to exhaust domestic remedies, the application was inadmissible," it added.

What a waste of bloody money taking to the European Court of Human Rights.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        I struggle to see this as a discrimination case. Even though religious beliefs were the reason for refusing to make the cake, there is nothing that says a company is required sell you one of their products on demand.

It seems to me that Mr Lee is discriminating against the bakery for refusing consider their religious and political beliefs. Perhaps if people were more understanding of the fact that not everyone has the same beliefs, there'd be less suing and more tolerance.
        Seems odd to me as well. It was highlighted in the case that it is the cake not the person. They didn't not serve him because he was gay, they wouldn't have made the cake if a straight person had ordered it either so they didn't discriminate against the gay person ordering it. This is purely down to the message on the cake so I can't see a problem with them refusing to print the message, be it gay marriage or something untasteful or obscene. I'm sure any baker of any faith would have a problem making a cake with a slogan on that is against their religious beliefs. If I ordered a cake from a Muslim or Jewish bakers that said 'I love pork pies' am I being discriminated against when they kick me out? No I'm not. I've just picked the wrong business for my requirements and I move on to to the next one that will. Maybe a bit of an extreme example as the gay marriage one is borderline in this day and age but the principle is still sound.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agree with LM. When it a case of one person's rights against another's we should surely take account of personal space. The baker should not be forced to do something against his own beliefs.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Seems odd to me as well. It was highlighted in the case that it is the cake not the person. They didn't not serve him because he was gay, they wouldn't have made the cake if a straight person had ordered it either so they didn't discriminate against the gay person ordering it. This is purely down to the message on the cake so I can't see a problem with them refusing to print the message, be it gay marriage or something untasteful or obscene. I'm sure any baker of any faith would have a problem making a cake with a slogan on that is against their religious beliefs. If I ordered a cake from a Muslim or Jewish bakers that said 'I love pork pies' am I being discriminated against when they kick me out? No I'm not. I've just picked the wrong business for my requirements and I move on to to the next one that will. Maybe a bit of an extreme example as the gay marriage one is borderline in this day and age but the principle is still sound.
            That is a good point. It was the message on the cake, not the person requesting the cake, that was being refused.

If Mr Lee had asked for "Happy Birthday Brian" and the bakery refused because they didn't want to serve a gay person then there'd be a case.

Comment

It's a very old case but IIRC (anyone?) the 'customer' targeted the bakery knowing it would cause ructions, they didn't innocently order a cake and get refused.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                It's a very old case but IIRC (anyone?) the 'customer' targeted the bakery knowing it would cause ructions, they didn't innocently order a cake and get refused.
                Yes, from memory I believe this was a targeted stunt knowing that this would be the likely outcome. Knowing that, I have very little sympathy with the complainant.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  (cake that is).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-59882444 - but to save you the trouble:
                  It wasn't because they were gay, it was because they wanted an erect penis in pink icing on the cake.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Hmm. Maybe I will order a cake with a big lady bum in pink icing for my next birthday,
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X