• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Garage Kit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garage Kit

As our little Honda CRX with electric roof had to go a year ago due to a terminal rust problem we'll be investing in a new electric top MX5 for summer 2022 driving and my better half has said it has to be garaged. We've a large double garage but I've so many tools, lawnmowers and assorted junk its rammed with stuff So yes I'll dump some stuff but will still be faced with a space issue so a radical reorganisation is called for. At the moment I've utilised the rafters and have a number of static shelving units. So I'm thinking of swapping the fixed shelving units with either wheeled versions or a bank of rail mounted units that pull out, approx a 2m x 2m x 1.2m WHD plus a proper big tool chest. I might end up making my own solution up but has anyone come across such beasts? Like the stuff used to store museum exhibits but pulled out rather than rolled aside like in libraries

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    As our little Honda CRX with electric roof had to go a year ago due to a terminal rust problem we'll be investing in a new electric top MX5 for summer 2022 driving and my better half has said it has to be garaged. We've a large double garage but I've so many tools, lawnmowers and assorted junk its rammed with stuff So yes I'll dump some stuff but will still be faced with a space issue so a radical reorganisation is called for. At the moment I've utilised the rafters and have a number of static shelving units. So I'm thinking of swapping the fixed shelving units with either wheeled versions or a bank of rail mounted units that pull out, approx a 2m x 2m x 1.2m WHD plus a proper big tool chest. I might end up making my own solution up but has anyone come across such beasts? Like the stuff used to store museum exhibits but pulled out rather than rolled aside like in libraries
    That is really interesting ... thanks for sharing ....
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Homebase had a few of these style - probably quite popular down under when they were owned by the aussies.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

You can't make space in a double garage with only one car in. Proper 1st world problems you've got

I went for cheap B&Q heavy duty plastic shelving and just spaced it appropriatly to everything I had to put in them.
        https://www.diy.com/departments/form...1677533_BQ.prd

They also do tubs with lids to go with it. Looks pretty smart if you don't mind having to remember what's in each tub. Never got round to labelling them so that's a job for the future.

Thought about wheeled ones but they are pretty full, didn't really need to move them and didn't want the risk of them toppling either. Once it was all set up and sorted everything I might actually need (under the watching eye of the misuss) it all looks pretty smart for next to nothing cost. Had to be a bit tough on stuff I really needed though. Those items I've not touched for 5+ years but might come in useful etc all had to go.

Some clever hooks/hangers on the walls will do the big stuff as well. Just have to be realistic about what you are keeping and what you really don't need though. That's half the battle IMO.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

.. we'll be investing in a new electric top MX5 for summer 2022 driving and my better half has said it has to be garaged. .. At the moment I've utilised the rafters ..
          If your lawnmower falls off the rafters and lands on your OH's brand new electric top MX5, those red balls dangling from the Christmas tree will be yours!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This is the racking I have:
            https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FX7DYPD
            Then tubs for some of the things on it.

Wheeled racking rarely solves the problem as it doesn't roll if:
            1. It isn't evenly loaded across the 4 wheels
            2. There is too much weight above about 50cm
            3. The floor isn't perfectly smooth, level and even.

But if you're only using the racking to store curling tongs, combs, brushes and scissors that don't fit in the car, then sure, a wheeled rack would be an option.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

https://www.homebase.co.uk/elysium.s...rkshop+storage
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Next Garage is getting some of this:

Modular Workshop Systems - Machine Mart

Comment

Working...
                X