• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories Lost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tories Lost

Lib Dems have won former Owen Paterson's seat.

It was held by the Tories for 189 years so clearly the kind of seat where you could put a blue rosette on a pig and it would be elected.

So how long until Johnson goes?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ount-continues

The Liberal Democrats have won a stunning victory in the North Shropshire byelection, taking what had previously been a safe Conservative seat by a margin of nearly 6,000 votes, and capping a disastrous few weeks for Boris Johnson.

Helen Morgan, the Lib Dem candidate, won 17,957 votes, ahead of the Conservatives’ Neil Shastri-Hurst, on 12,032, a majority of 5,925. Labour’s Ben Wood was third, with 3,686 votes. Turnout was 46.3%.

The calamitous collapse in Conservative support – a 34% swing in a seat where they had a near-23,000 majority in 2019 – will prompt significant jitters among many Tory MPs, and is likely to raise questions about Johnson’s future.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 17 December 2021, 08:23.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

About time the public woke up to this shower of cretins.

Comment

It's also about time the public realised our politics doesn't have to be about the 2 useless, self serving parties and that there are alternatives. Would be good to see more coalition governments in this country so that we stop the extremes of policies we get with LabCon
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

they still voted tories (in disguise)

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          they still voted tories (in disguise)
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The Lib Dems played a blinder though.

The Tory candidate was ‘a lawyer from Birmingham’.

That pushed so many buttons the dashboard exploded!

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Seemed like it was on the cards but more a one-off given the special circumstances. One more crack in Boris' armour but this isn't going to get him out.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Seemed like it was on the cards but more a one-off given the special circumstances. One more crack in Boris' armour but this isn't going to get him out.
                I suspect the knives are being sharpened as we speak.

Does rather show Starmer to be a bit inept. Open goal and the third team win.

As Cojak pointed out the Tories put up the least attractive candidate they could find.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Does rather show Starmer to be a bit inept. Open goal and the third team win.
                  Not the most insightful bit of political analysis. It does rather show the power of tactical voting though.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I suspect the knives are being sharpened as we speak.
                    They have been for a while but this was not really a surprise result within the party. And who in their right mind would want to take over now, rather than let Boris wallow in all the CV stuff... better to bide your time.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X