• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: "Omicron Covid cases ‘doubling every two to three days’ in UK"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

At least, none that you are prepared to accept or understand. I'm talking general evolution, not mutation within a single strain of a virus, which is a specific case. I could go into viral mutation process and where viruses originated in the first place, wander off into transmissible inheritance in viruses and bacteria in general or all sorts of other blind alleys that are more about biochemistry or the underlying science(s) of killing bugs without killing hosts but I may just resist that temptation.

The fact remain that any parasite or pathogen has a better chance of survival if it doesn't kill its host.
    There's no advantage to the virus in not killing host because a host who dies has as much time to spread the virus as a one that survives. It's pure chance if the virus mutates to something less deadly. Rabies is still fatal and smallpox was fatal up until the time it was irradicated. Some viruses become more deadly, bird flu for example that used to be harmless but mutated to become deadly.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 13 December 2021, 10:49.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Don't forget to sanitise your Christmas cards before you open them this year.
      Just leave them a day or two
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

At least, none that you are prepared to accept or understand. I'm talking general evolution, not mutation within a single strain of a virus, which is a specific case. I could go into viral mutation process and where viruses originated in the first place, wander off into transmissible inheritance in viruses and bacteria in general or all sorts of other blind alleys that are more about biochemistry or the underlying science(s) of killing bugs without killing hosts but I may just resist that temptation.

The fact remain that any parasite or pathogen has a better chance of survival if it doesn't kill its host.
        Repeating the same wrong argument doesn't make it right, even if you use long words to try and bamboozle people into thinking you know what you're talking about. This is science, not politics.
        Covid already has a VERY low mortality rate, especially in the developed world. Seems to be about 2% untreated, dropping to below 1% with medical attention - perhaps substantially lower with the most recent treatments that are approved. And with vaccines which severely reduce death but not transmission to the same extent, the actual mortality is thankfully very low.

Comment

"Covid: First UK death recorded with Omicron variant

At least one person in the UK has died with the Omicron coronavirus variant, the prime minister has said.

Boris Johnson said the new variant was also resulting in hospital admissions and the "best thing" people could do was get their booster jab.

Visiting a vaccination clinic in London, he said people should set aside the idea Omicron was a milder variant.

Speaking during a visit near Paddington, west London, Mr Johnson said: "Sadly yes, Omicron is producing hospitalisations and sadly at least one patient has been confirmed to have died with Omicron.

"So I think the idea that this is somehow a milder version of the virus, I think that's something we need to set on one side and just recognise the sheer pace at which it accelerates through the population."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59639007

Comment

I've been pretty sanguine about Omicron, probably because I have at least somewhat bought the narrative that it is going to be much milder than Delta. If it turns out that it isn't, things are about to get pretty serious fast. This thing is doubling in less than 2 days under current restrictions in a mostly vaccinated population, which is nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
              I've been pretty sanguine about Omicron, probably because I have at least somewhat bought the narrative that it is going to be much milder than Delta. If it turns out that it isn't, things are about to get pretty serious fast. This thing is doubling in less than 2 days under current restrictions in a mostly vaccinated population, which is nuts.
              Even if it's milder, it's going to be a big deal if the early indications of R are correct. It's a numbers game. A lower [insert bad thing here] rate multiplied by a larger infected population means bad news for the NHS, even if the risk to you as an individual (that has caught Omicron vs. Delta or Alpha) is smaller.

Comment

We are in for a bad time for sure - the fact that is spreads so quickly (much quicker than Alpha and even Delta) and pretty much fact that it evades vaccines to a large degree (which helps explain high spread), then things will go bad very quickly.

I don't buy that it's "milder", this isn't Bank's.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                  As an individual you are very likely to be fine. But Let's say it's 50% as dangerous but infects 10X as many... this is essentially what projections are showing which has the NHS terrified. Remember right at the start, the narrative was about smoothing/flattening the curve so we don't get all the cases at the same time. If you get seriously ill with Covid, your chances of survival are much lower if you can't get into hospital.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

As an individual you are very likely to be fine. But Let's say it's 50% as dangerous but infects 10X as many... this is essentially what projections are showing which has the NHS terrified. Remember right at the start, the narrative was about smoothing/flattening the curve so we don't get all the cases at the same time. If you get seriously ill with Covid, your chances of survival are much lower if you can't get into hospital.

Do we have any healthcare and social care workers left?

I thought there were loads of bed blockers as social care workers have gone off to work in Amazon warehouses so they can actual earn a living wage.

And healthcare with workers have retired, gone/going back home or are working out how to emigrate.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

""More details emerge on 10 Omicron cases in English hospitals

As we heard earlier, 10 people have been hospitalised with the Omicron variant in England.

Now, the UK Health Security Agency has provided some more detail on those cases.

They are aged 18 to 85 and are in hospitals around the country where they were diagnosed with Omicron on or before admission, it says.

The majority had received two doses of Covid vaccination, the UKHSA says, and - as we've been reporting - one person has died."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59632655

Comment

Working...
                      X