• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dune

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dune

Saw it last night. Not unflawed, but largely brilliant.

My two daughters watched the original film and enjoyed it so much that they treated me and my wife to an evening watching the new one. If part two had immediately followed, I wouldn't have been unhappy. Even meaning I'd go home at 3am...
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Shouldn't be that difficult to feck something up less than 2049.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

That's odd. The few people I know who went to see it weren't impressed and some of those didn't realise it was mutlipart so weren't very happy. I didn't got see it on that feedback. Might have to go just to see for myself at this rate.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Did Sting wear his posing pouch?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I saw it a good few weeks ago and thought it was a very good adaptation. It's a difficult book to work with but I think it's got the balance right.

Comment

I think the trick is that you need to have read the book properly and get all the various elements of the Dune universe if the film is to make sense. Which is why 95% of viewers won't get it and the other 5% will say it's not close to the story...

There was a mini-series based on Children of Dune recently. That told the story of the book quite well but missed out all the underpinnings. Made for a decent SF action film, but it was a bit abstract wrt to motive and history, so a bit disappointing to a nerd like me that can probably quote most of the original trilogy.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The original was dire.
              Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
                The original was dire.
                some unforgettable moments.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dune-1984-kenneth-mcmillan-BKAM5H.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	4194416

Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BMTQ0MTU1MjgyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTUxODIwMjE@._V1_.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	4194415
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Just be glad he was wearing a loin cloth. Until the last minute, he was supposed to be naked. Funnily enough even my non-scifi-nerd wife likes the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed 2049. The first hour of the original is amazing - and then it falls apart.

A few things wrong. The Baron didn't have a disfiguring skin disease. The demise of the housekeeper wasn't given enough significance - same issue with Duke Leto saving the miners over the spice. And I kept seeing that lovely chap Dax, instead of The Beast Rabban.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Aw, I thought this was going to be a thread about one of my favourite shoe brands...

Comment

Working...
                    X